Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament AFAB-Mini Flash Hider/Compensator?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Huh? BCs are WAY less concussive than FSC556s. Been there done that on that comparison on multiple rifles.
    Vuurwapen Blog did a comparison of brakes, and their sound meter showed the Battle Comp to be measurably louder than the FSC556.

spl1meter.jpg
    http://vuurwapenblog.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Vuurwapen Blog did a comparison of brakes, and their sound meter showed the Battle Comp to be measurably louder than the FSC556.

spl1meter.jpg
    http://vuurwapenblog.com/
    Yes, I've seen that comparison and I even commented that I question the results of their findings/methods.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Yes, I've seen that comparison and I even commented that I question the results of their findings/methods.
    Same here.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    See, I'm in the other boat. Those findings in that test mirror my own observations.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's because straight sound intensity doesn't tell the whole story. In my own testing thus far I've found that the concussive blast you feel (profile of the blast if you will) isn't necessarily tied to the sound level.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    That's because straight sound intensity doesn't tell the whole story. In my own testing thus far I've found that the concussive blast you feel (profile of the blast if you will) isn't necessarily tied to the sound level.
    The way the wavefront propagates may have an effect. But sound IS pressure. That's why a sound meter is called a sound pressure level meter (SPL). I'm sure other factors such as the frequency response profile play into it.

However, i have shot both brakes side by side extensively, and my experience was the same as reported by that test. I also understand that people are affected by sound differently, so it is difficult to have a completely objective standard by which to measure and quantify sound. I think Andrew did as good a job as has been done by anybody yet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Got mine in. Machining is INSANELY well done. Wish I could get calipers down in there to measure the exit hole--it looks tight.

For this price point--for ANY price point of ANY muzzle device--I'm VERY impressed. It's also 1/4" shorter and 1/4 ounce lighter than the SF brake I'm used to (and $40-$110 cheaper installed depending on if I get the legacy brake pinned by BCM or have the newer model pinned by anyone).

The ONLY thing I don't know about is the quality of "HTSR 416 stainless steel" and ionbond treatment. I know BCs are (17-4PH heat treated stainless steel) and also KAC and SF supposedly also justify a high price point due to the materials used--and ADCO charges more to drill through them.

I have some theories for increasing flash suppression and braking a tiny bit more without much more machining (I may email the guy from PA).
    Last edited by evi1joe; 01-25-14 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had a BC on one side of me and a PWS on the other....both were about 1.5' in front of me, and about 3.5' from my head (the BC was about a foot further since he was on my right). So 4:30 (from PWS) and 7:30 (from BC). I remember sitting there and trying to determine which was louder...at that angle it seemed like the PWS was a tad bit more concussive, but I couldn't tell a difference in volume. At 90 degrees I don't know if there'd be a difference in concussion--maybe, maybe not.
    I shot both and liked the PWSs recoil impulse better, so since it was $60 cheaper pinned, it was a no brainer. I later moved to SF brakes, once I determined sound and concussion weren't a big deal to me. However, I've always liked the idea of hybrids--like the PWS (the original!). I'd been looking at BCMs, Griffins, BCs, etc., but really happy the AFAB came along.

Feedback Score
    I am certainly interested to get a Griffin Flashcomp also, that will be what goes on ky current build. They can be had for about $20 cheaper from Joeboboutfitters and I saw a couple pictures of some MARSOC guys running them so they should be stout. The AFAB definitely does the job but I feel the need to try the Griffin since I run 2 of their suppressors.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    I think what you feel has to do with how much of the actual gas is redirected towards you. I remember one time I was using an Armalite 2-port brake on a 16" upper with a mesh brass deflector screen about 2' to my right, and each shot would move the screen (again, it's mesh) about 6" away.

I find the FSC-556 a bit unpleasant either as shooter or nearby, and the BC slightly less so in both cases (I have very limited time shooting the BC, but plenty of time being near one as a competition RO). Neither one is any picnic, especially next to cover (blue barrels) or under a roof.

Vuurwapenblog's test should be respected for being methodical and describing their methods. People may not like the results, especially if they have a pet expensive comp, but it seems like the best side by side comparison available to Joe Q. Public.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast