Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament AFAB-Mini Flash Hider/Compensator?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Yep - looked pretty neutral. The muzzle dip was long after the initial blast.

Still haven't had the chance to get mine out to range dangit. Wife's got me on lockdown with the new baby and it's been a nonstop snowy, muddy mess here.

Excuses.

Interesting there's a longer version coming out. Wonder how much that bad boy will weigh? I put this on my 10.5 for now, but I have a feeling I may get the longer one and do some back to back testing with it.
    Good luck with the kid. You should start a kickstarter for coffee donations.

Yeah, I appreciate the fact that they are openly admitting that one muzzle device CANNOT be optimized for all barrel lengths......that they must be different. That shows sound design and much-needed critical thinking for muzzle devices.

I'd imagine that the larger (longer?) expansion chamber will allow for more flash and muzzle rise mitigation which would be overkill for longer barrels, but just right for SBR's.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I'm curious why they don't recommend using a crush washer? Is the exit bore that tight?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The exit bore is very tight compared to anything else I've seen.
    Edited: Yeah, shooting Wolf is definitely not optimal unless you compare it to an A2, since most of us will be shooting 556 or 223 with more flash retardants. I understand it's a worst case scenario--also, it's hard to tell how far away the muzzle is--if it's super close, then that flash is much smaller than if it's 8ft away.
    I'm sure it'll have some flash--I've seen it in other videos--but an A2 for comparisons would be ideal, so people realize that the flash is barely more. I think it's probably better than most any of the hybrid comps like it (BC, BCM, etc), though my 16" with a PWS looked good when I shot with it. Just sparks/powder.
    Last edited by evi1joe; 02-12-14 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    I shot the AFAB back to back with a BattleComp on virtually identical set ups with the same ammo. I was holding off on posting my opinion as I could not get an honest evaluation of side blast or more so the concussive impulse as I like to stand to the side of the device as it is fired. I also did not fire the device in low light.

So far my results from the shooter standpoint, I found the muzzle rise and rearward recoil impulses to mirror one another. Ground disturbance from prone seemed to be similar. At this point I really cannot discern much if any difference in performance vs. the BattleComp from the type of shooting that I have done so far. I will note that the device is a bit longer and a bit heavier which is obvious when you open the package. Noticing differences in muzzle end weight when running various compensators is common for me especially the longer heavier versions like my SJC. While perhaps a small difference with the AFAB, I did notice it. Cost is less than the BC and now Brownells is carrying them, so if you have the correct account, pricing is a bit less than from the manufacturer and a good bit less than the BC. I will again note that the machining work on this device is top rate, definitely more intricate of a design vs the BC.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I shot the AFAB back to back with a BattleComp on virtually identical set ups with the same ammo. I was holding off on posting my opinion as I could not get an honest evaluation of side blast or more so the concussive impulse as I like to stand to the side of the device as it is fired. I also did not fire the device in low light.

So far my results from the shooter standpoint, I found the muzzle rise and rearward recoil impulses to mirror one another. Ground disturbance from prone seemed to be similar. At this point I really cannot discern much if any difference in performance vs. the BattleComp from the type of shooting that I have done so far. I will note that the device is a bit longer and a bit heavier which is obvious when you open the package. Noticing differences in muzzle end weight when running various compensators is common for me especially the longer heavier versions like my SJC. While perhaps a small difference with the AFAB, I did notice it. Cost is less than the BC and now Brownells is carrying them, so if you have the correct account, pricing is a bit less than from the manufacturer and a good bit less than the BC. I will again note that the machining work on this device is top rate, definitely more intricate of a design vs the BC.
    Great review, Surf. Mind keeping this thread updated as your round count increases?
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yikes. The BC I shot didnt have much effect on recoil reduction and the muzzle dipped (however, I have only shot one for about 200rds beside a pws556 which seemed much better). I felt vindicated by the vvuurrpenwarre study.

I'd really hoped these were better than BC or BCM and more like PWS, but I've only put 20rds through the AFAB (on a friends 16" middy) and had nothing to compare it to except his vortex, which it felt better than.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    Yikes. The BC I shot didnt have much effect on recoil reduction and the muzzle dipped (however, I have only shot one for about 200rds beside a pws556 which seemed much better). I felt vindicated by the vvuurrpenwarre study.

I'd really hoped these were better than BC or BCM and more like PWS, but I've only put 20rds through the AFAB (on a friends 16" middy) and had nothing to compare it to except his vortex, which it felt better than.
    I have an FSC556 to A/B it with and they are very similar, with the AFAB being less blasty. In my experience, it is much more similar to the FSC556 than the BC in all categories except blast (and this is a good thing).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Great review, and I appreciate a comparison review, such as Surf's. Would really like to see a comparison with the Griffin Armament FlashComp, as that would be an apple to apple comparison; similar design objectives weight and price.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I remember you saying that.
    Though your system is super tuned if I rememberer--you could put a tomato on the end and it'd be smooth.

I remember some thread a year or so ago where you were using like a heavy buffer and a strong spring and still feeding tula and stuff. Since I shoot 223 like 2.5% of the time (and 2.5% 75gr TAP along with 95% xm193), I may fiddle with all that to get the 14.5" 100% with lots of wiggle room for dirt and grime--I ordered a nice spring from damage industries (I think it's like the Sprinco white) and a Guntec buffer(that's 4.4 ounces--just below the H2). I'll polish my BCM carrier like you did with the e-carrier (!!which I thought was for over gassed guns!!) and use the NiB relia-bolt...and run it soaked in FireClean and/or slip 2000ewl.
    Last edited by evi1joe; 02-12-14 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    I know I like this break, it does the job well and is not as loud as my brothers Battle Comp or my neighbors Sure Fire. I was never a big fan of the Battle Comp, it just seems very loud. And pushes a little to much downward. I can watch my target hits with the AFAB. I will not say it's quiet, my son got a round off before I got my ear protection on and it rung me real good.
    But over all my take on it is a good break for the money. And it's made very well, top notch machine work and finish.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast