Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Precision Armament AFAB-Mini Flash Hider/Compensator?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I remember REALLY liking the stability and recoil of the FSC556 which was ALMOST as good as the SF brake (which became my main one for years). My reason for wanting a comp over a brake is that comps tend to offer a much better reduction of muzzle-flash than pure brakes. I know the afab-mini is pretty good, as is the fsc556 (both are far superior as FHs than the lantac and SF out of the water--it's called a dragon because it's a firebreather).

I'm going to have my gun painted, but wanted to wait until I settled on an upper (which, for me means, settled on a comp). I just wanted to hear if there were new reviewers and adopters out there.

NOTE: I'm shooting my gun with the new A5H3 buffer next Monday or Tuesday, so I bought a ton of different ammo brands to test out (it's been 100% on 5.56)--PMC, Federal 223, etc.--for reliability.

Feedback Score
    Today, I got to shoot a few Comps I've never shot and the AFAB was one of them. I've really been wanting to shoot one because I've been pondering the purchase over the last month.

First let me say. Its a fine piece of machining.

The comps I got to shoot today for the first time was the AFAB, Griffin Flash Comp (gen 3) and the new Rainier RAC. The shooting was done indoor in order to get the full effect of sound and muzzle flash.

The AFAB was about as quiet as an A2 and it kept the muzzle flat for the most part. What I didn't like was that it actually created more recoil than any other comp or flash hider I've shot. When we turned the lights off, the flash created was about twice as much as the A2. Not bad at all. Personally, I'm not going to spend $125 on the AFAB.

The new Rainier was awesome when it came to muzzle control and recoil reduction. What wasn't so awesome was how loud it was and the flash signature. The flash was a lot more than the other two comps tested. The flash stayed out of our sight picture but it shot out both sides. When it came to noise, I wouldn't want to stand next to someone shooting it.

Lastly, the Flash Comp. It was by far the best all around muzzle device I shot tonight. It kept the muzzle flat and softened the recoil a little bit. Not as much as the Rainier but it definitely softened it. Muzzle control was on par with the Rainier and better than the AFAB. Standing off to the side, it was about as loud as an A2. I couldn't really tell a difference while inside. Where the device really shined was flash control. Taking single shots there was no more flash than that of an A2. During a 10 round rapid burst, there was only slightly more flash than an A2.

All in all, I think I'm going to drop $90 on the Griffin. Its one of the best all around muzzle devices I've shot.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Obscenejesster!
    My experience with the M4SD II flash comp was similar except I couldn't discern ANY recoil reduction. I liked the recoil impulse and the sound of it (I only shot it one day--probably 200rds). To me, it's very close to the AFAB-mini, except I bet it handles flash better, but it didn't seem to reduce recoil--and might be a bit blastier (the AFAB seemed to slightly reduce recoil, BUT I thought it had a sharper impulse than the Griffin [or BCM mod1], if that makes sense).

However, unlike you I didn't get to shoot them side-by-side...I shot the Flash Comp next to a SF brake, and I shot the AFAB next to a SF brake--so I'm doing more of an A to B via A/C and B/C comparison.

Feedback Score
    I still think the AFAB is a quality piece. I was one that wasn't crazy about the sound from the FSC but it was definitely flat. The Lantac doesn't suppress muzzle flash as well as the AFAB but holy crap...it is flat and the sound is not insane either. I need to pick up a Flashcomp also.

I DO NOT get paid for my reviews.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I think the notion of any comp "creating" recoil is a bit of a misnomer. Any dedicated comp like the AFAB, BC, etc that doesn't have some sort of baffles will simply NOT have the rearward recoil reduction of any device that does have them. With that said, having shot an A2 back to back with the AFAB, the AFAB has noticeably less rearward recoil than the A2. There may be an impression or perception of "more" recoil because the gun can't dissipate recoil energy on any other direction aside from straight back. With the A2, the gun can wander all over the place and this movement alone eats up some of the rearward kinetic energy.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I think the notion of any comp "creating" recoil is a bit of a misnomer. Any dedicated comp like the AFAB, BC, etc that doesn't have some sort of baffles will simply NOT have the rearward recoil reduction of any device that does have them. With that said, having shot an A2 back to back with the AFAB, the AFAB has noticeably less rearward recoil than the A2. There may be an impression or perception of "more" recoil because the gun can't dissipate recoil energy on any other direction aside from straight back. With the A2, the gun can wander all over the place and this movement alone eats up some of the rearward kinetic energy.
    Very well said!

I DO NOT get paid for my reviews.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Here is a post I recently made asking ESK about this very issue that my previous post just addressed:

"On a related, yet still-off-topic note, I wonder if this is part of the reason that many brake like the BC, AFAB mini, GA Flash Comp II, MAMS, etc. all have been reported as having a sharper recoil impulse? Possibly due to increased rearward BCG velocity from the added dwell time, gas volume afforded by what is apparently tantamount to an expansion chamber in each of these devices?"

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...85#post1889685
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know WHY I didn't realize this before, but the AAC dual-port brake that was kicking my ass in the class, was on a 10.5" barrel!!! I saw pics from the class on FB and the comment was about how 3 of the guys were running DD MK18s (the other two had FHs, and one guy used a suppressor a bit).
    That totally explains why I'd never realized how bad brakes were--I've never shot next to a 10.5" with a dual port-brake, much less one 3ft from my face.
    This realization makes me feel better about wanting to go back to a more brake-oriented comp (versus these hybrids, which keep muzzle flat, reduce flash, and are less blasty, but just change recoil a bit); I'm betting the extra 4" of barrel and middy gas length will reduce concussion by 40-50% over a 10.5".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So I've been comparing the PA AFAB and the GA M4SD-II flash comp, still on the fence, however in a communication with PA, there appears to be a new model coming out? anyone have more info?
    Any "end users' have feedback on there use on shorter AR's like 11.5"?

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    So I've been comparing the PA AFAB and the GA M4SD-II flash comp, still on the fence, however in a communication with PA, there appears to be a new model coming out? anyone have more info?
    Any "end users' have feedback on there use on shorter AR's like 11.5"?
    The flash comp is pretty rough on a short barrel, with alot of flash. But that's to be expected with almost any comp.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223