Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament AFAB-Mini Flash Hider/Compensator?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    *Personal opinion disclosure*
    The MAMS is better to me, but I don't know if any muzzle device is worth a $200 premium.
    Don't apologize for it. If you think it's better then that is your valid conclusion. It doesn't advance the art of the black gun if we diminish the innovators.

The value judgment is a personal decision. Just as a Noveske barrel may not be the best value for every shooter, a MAMS may also not be the best value for every shooter. It is certainly a point of diminishing returns in terms of absolute performance.

But the "just as good as" argument is the same that has people asserting that a Nissan 370z is the equal of a Porsche 991 911. It's not.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Don't apologize for it. If you think it's better then that is your valid conclusion. It doesn't advance the art of the black gun if we diminish the innovators.

The value judgment is a personal decision. Just as a Noveske barrel may not be the best value for every shooter, a MAMS may also not be the best value for every shooter. It is certainly a point of diminishing returns in terms of absolute performance.

But the "just as good as" argument is the same that has people asserting that a Nissan 370z is the equal of a Porsche 991 911. It's not.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Not really trying to be an apologist. I just framed it as an opinion because I don’t have the energy or time tonight to get into an argument with someone from the "just as good as" camp. The MAMS is impressive. Shoots very neutral, concussion isn't the worst and flash hasn't been noticeable in dim indoor range lighting. I'm heading to the woods for the weekend and hoping to see how it looks outdoors in fading / no light.

I'm very curious to see if the AFAB has any muzzle dip in addition to the normal criteria of flash, blast and stability. Truthfully though, it may be harder to judge on an 18" barrel.

PS- how is Mrs. BufordT?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Not really trying to be an apologist. I just framed it as an opinion because I don’t have the energy or time tonight to get into an argument with someone from the "just as good as" camp. The MAMS is impressive. Shoots very neutral, concussion isn't the worst and flash hasn't been noticeable in dim indoor range lighting. I'm heading to the woods for the weekend and hoping to see how it looks outdoors in fading / no light.

I'm very curious to see if the AFAB has any muzzle dip in addition to the normal criteria of flash, blast and stability. Truthfully though, it may be harder to judge on an 18" barrel.

PS- how is Mrs. BufordT?
    Mrs. Buford is on the mend and doing well, thank you.

I, personally, would really like to shoot a MAMS. I have high expectations for it, coming from KAC. I know Trey and his dad don't like coming in second....in anything. You didn't come across as an apologist to me....just wanted to prevent a "TOS just-as-good-as" dogpile in this thread...where people are then afraid to share honestly about their impressions for fear of ridicule. You're not a newbie at the Black Rifle so I value your opinion and your input. Nuff said.

I think that only possible failing of the AFAB could be muzzle dip...which is what forced Griffin Arms into a 2nd gen of the M4SD-II Flash comp (removing the top two rows of holes). We shall see.

Also, as purty as the tines on the front appear to be, I have seen that the majority of flash created by these hybrid devices that affects the shooter's vision emanates from the blast chamber and not from the front aperture of the device
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

Also, as purty as the tines on the front appear to be, I have seen that the majority of flash created by these hybrid devices that affects the shooter's vision emanates from the blast chamber and not from the front aperture of the device
    Interesting point. Comparing the Battlecomp to the Flash Comp, MAMS, etc, the tines do seem to cut out flash forward of the comp, but as you noted, the most distracting flash tends to emanate from the blast chamber outward. Maybe the AFAB design addresses that. The more we talk about it, the more I consider picking one up. Dammit, just when I swore I was going to quit playing MD musical chairs! Must. Be. Patient.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Interesting point. Comparing the Battlecomp to the Flash Comp, MAMS, etc, the tines do seem to cut out flash forward of the comp, but as you noted, the most distracting flash tends to emanate from the blast chamber outward. Maybe the AFAB design addresses that. The more we talk about it, the more I consider picking one up. Dammit, just when I swore I was going to quit playing MD musical chairs! Must. Be. Patient.
    Well, the AFAB design is substantially different from all the rest, so it is possible for it to improve in that area. If it weren't much different, I would have called its flash-mitigating performance all but a foregone conclusion.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Alright.

Got my new upper sighted-in with irons and my micro. Smoothest shooting setup I've ever run.

Used a Vltor A5H4 buffer, wolff RP rifle spring, LMT E-carrier (w/ std LMT bolt), and a Rainier Arms Mountain Series 18" barrel with rifle length gas system. Rail System is Rainier Evo 15".

I had nobody to hold the camera for me, so I used one hand to hold the camera (away from the gun) and the other to shoot. I had a BFG VCAS padded sling, but it wasn't much help with one handed shooting.

Muzzle dip doesn't seem to be a problem....but I wasn't able to evaluate flash since it was very bright out.

Recoil impulse was softer than a BC...much more like my FSC556 equipped BCM 14.5" middy. However, the side blast and concussion was much reduced from the FSC556 when shooting from under a metal roof. I also shot from prone, but the ground was wet so no info on dust kick-up.

Bottom line, I'm VERY pleased so far. Only ran about 90 rounds through it today...but I'm very happy with the performance. More shooting impressions later...I got a hot date for the evening.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 01-06-14 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Glad to hear the Mrs is feeling well!
    Looking forward to more feedback, especially compared to similar devices, such as the FSC556 you mentioned.
    Found it to be too blasty. Curious how the AFAB compares to the FlashComp and MAMS.
    It might be the Next Great Thing, or not.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Glad to hear the Mrs is feeling well!
    Looking forward to more feedback, especially compared to similar devices, such as the FSC556 you mentioned.
    Found it to be too blasty. Curious how the AFAB compares to the FlashComp and MAMS.
    It might be the Next Great Thing, or not.
    Thank you. She is well now and feeling fine.

I forgot to mention the ammo I was using: Federal 55gr XM193 in 10rd stripper clips. No flash that I saw...but, as I said, it was bright.

As for the FSC556....I have never found mine to be overbearing, but the AFAB is noticeably less blasty and concussive even without A-Bing them. It's a pretty large improvement. Recoil was straight back and was quite soft. There was virtually zero muzzle movement. As you can see in the video, shooting it without a support hand stills results in a very stable muzzle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the video / review! Glad the lady's doing well.

Feedback Score
    Good looking Comp/FS. Can't wait for, BTJ's write up & review.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast