Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First AR-15. Got questions.

Feedback Score

My First AR-15. Got questions.

Hey guys, I picked up my first AR-15. It is a Colt LE6920MP-B. I have fired a few hundred rounds thru it and have taken it down and cleaned it a couple of times. I am very impressed with the AR platform. When holding the Magpul edition colt in the shop it felt great. But after a few hundred rounds I have decided to make a couple changes. I would like to be able to place my support hand further out, and the Magpul MOE Handguard is limited on its forend grip mounting positions.

Crummy cell phone pic.

I really like the look of the DDM4 RIS 2 12" rail. Along with the DD vertical foregrip. I am having a hard time trying to decide if I am going to keep the FSB and go with a cut out rail. Or pull the FSB and go with a low pro gas block and a flip up sight.

Either way I plan on adding optics. I know nothing about optics. But it seems that a red dot sight along with a 3X magnifier scope that flips to the side would cover most situations.

How many of you guys use the 45 degree iron sights?

I have done searches but am still undecided and would like to hear your opinions and advice.

Thanks, T.B.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I found that an unmagnified red dot works well for me out to 300 yards, so I'd say start with the red dot and see if you want some more magnification.

As for the 45° irons, I'm pretty sure they're mostly used in conjunction with scopes, and since you're thinking red dot I'd say forget them. Flip-ups would be a better option

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is a lot of questions. My advice would be to take your time reading all you can while continuing to run the Colt in it's current setup. Only then will you be able to make informed decisions on optics, hand guards and gas blocks. Anything less and you will end up wasting cash on gear you will not be satisfied with. We see it time and time again. Go through a couple cases of ammo while learning all the pros and cons of AR Gear.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    The Colt LE6920MP-B is an awesome buy. If I could buy more living in Marylandstan, that's probably what I'd buy as a general purpose back-up gun to the primary one that I already have, and I'd probably leave it as is to be honest, except for sling, optic, white light and maybe a trigger. It's true I've modded the ones I have, but the one you have is a really good start, and you've barely run it.

Before buying the rail and VFG, I'd recommend buying more magazines, at least 5-10. People have different tastes in magazines, which is why you may want to just start off with 10 before you figure out what you like. I like metal mags, but others like polymer mags. If you're undecided, you could buy 5 metal mags and 5 Magpul mags, and decide what you like from there. I like Magpul followers in my metal mags. I also primarily use 30 rnd mags. As you gain experience and develop a preference, then you can spend money on 20 rd mags or 45 rd mags or whatever, like 60 rd mags, but at first stick with RELIABLE 30 rd mags in my opinion.

Then I'd get an optic, but you've got to know how far you want to shoot with it. I have an Eotech for up to 300 yards and am playing with a variable optic for shots up to 500-600 yards. Both are probably overkill for home defense, but that's why you have to define your "mission" requirements. For me, yes I bought my AR's for home defense, self-defense and maybe hunting, but I mostly use them for training classes and competitions. For home defense, most suburban self defense scenarios and matches inside 300 yards, the Eotech is fine. For hunting, competitions out to 500 yards and, in my opinion, a more well rounded optic, the variable optic is where it's at. Decide what you plan on using the AR for, and then buy the appropriate optic. In the meantime, get good at your irons. Also, I'd rather buy a variable optic than a red dot with magnifier, but others disagree. I think variable optics are more well rounded, but if you're not shooting past 100-200 yards, a red dot is fine.

After the optic, I'd probably buy a sling and then a white light. By the time you get to the light, hopefully you've shot your AR in classes, at competitions or practiced on your own on an action range. The point is, if you're shooting 200 yards from the bench or 25 yards at an indoor range, you'll probably never really get to know your AR and develop a preference. Shooting in classes and competitions makes you use the AR, I hate to say this, more dynamically. You also have an opportunity to see and learn from other potentially more experienced shooters and try their stuff or at least fondle it.

The mags, optic, sling and light will all work with your currently configured AR. They will also be usable once you upgrade the rail. Once you've had to "run" the AR, whether under the clock in competitions and in various positions or while being pushed in class by an instructor, you'll know what you really need and like and can buy with more confidence. Until then, honestly man, the AR you have is a more than adequate AR. The rail and VFG won't get you more performance gains than the other items I mentioned above first.

Shaving the FSB is up to you. I had mine shaved and had to pay a gunsmith to do it so that adds to the cost. I also had a gunsmith install my free float rail, which also adds to the cost. I think it was worth it to get a FF rail and VFG with shaved FSB, but not before the getting other things mentioned above, but if you've got the money, more power to you. I have flip up iron sights, but I often leave front flipped up because of parallax so FSB or flip up are both good to go in my opinion. I got flip up because of shaved FSB and longer rail. If I had to do it again and found rail that I liked and that would work with stock FSB, I might not shave it.

One last thing, you get more perfomance out of your AR by using and learning how to shoot it well than buying stuff for it until you gain experience. A couple hundred rounds does not count as experienced. But I've modded my gun too, and I've shot several thousand rounds through it too. But guess what, I'm not the best shooter. I'm not the worst either, but there are plenty better than me. Why? Because most of them have just shot more than me. In other words, they are more experienced. It's not because of their rail and VFG. After modding my AR's guess what I have to do to beat these guys. Yup, get out and practice and just shoot the damn gun more.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by USA; 12-20-13 at 20:38. Reason: Typos

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Definitely get a 2 MOA Aimpoint of some kind and shoot a lot. You'll probably find it to be sufficient for any king of shooting you'll use that carbine for and if not you can add a magnifier or second optic later. You have a fixed front sight so 45 degree irons aren't going to be an option unless you decide to really **** with the gun. I'd just get a decent rear sight. I personally like a fixed rear but i think most people go with a flip down. You'll probably find the fixed front sight annoying at first but you'll forget about it when you actually shoot using a red dot. By the way get a mount for your Aimpoint that puts the iron sights in the lower third of the window. Different manufacturers have different names for such a setup but lower third is pretty universal. I personally like ADM. Grant at GandRtgactical.com has package deals with the mount and optic for really good prices.

Add a good adjustable two point sling like a Blue Force Gear or Viking Tactics. Also a good US-made white light from Surefire, Malkoff etc. and mount that on there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good advice above!

With a carbine length gas system I think the FSP rail is the way to go. Most people are going to recommend a fixed front sight with a RDS, with that in mind the only thing gained by running a low pro gas block and rail mounted fixed sight is weight savings. A forged FSB weighs about 5 oz and shaved weighs about 2. A DD front sight weighs 1.1 oz so you end up saving about 2 oz. on the other hand the fixed FSB is the most rugged option and does not require additional cost to shave/ refinish and purchase a new front sight. You have to weigh those pros and cons.

In addition to the DD another FSP rail to check out is the centurion C4 FSP which mounts to a standard barrel nut, depending on your gunsmithing abilities this can save a bit of hassle as it only requires removing the handguard cap and delta ring which can be done without removing the barrel or fsb.

The best Bang for your buck RDS out there is the aimpoint pro, most people on this site will recommend aimpoint over eotech for durability and battery life. The micros are another good option but are more expensive.

Specific to your questions I would recommend the following:

Keep the forged FSB, run a FSP rail, aimpoint pro, surefire X300 at 12:00.
    Last edited by Toyoland66; 12-20-13 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    I have six 30rd Pmags and really like them. I will be buying more. I am a fan of the polymer mags and became that way from running them in my SKS. I will be putting another few hundred rounds thru the rifle before I buy anything substantial. I plan to build this rifle to be a "fighting rifle". As of right now I don't plan on using it for indoor home defense and have other options for that. I want this to be my do everything, and ready for anything should things go bad rifle. It will be the first weapon I grab should I be forced to leave my home. So having optics that are versatile enough for any situation is what I will probably want. Shooting 300 rounds in one session at a small "sight in" target at 25 yards in the indoor range was enough to strain my vision with the stock sights. I don't have bad vision, just not as good as 10 years ago.

I think a red dot sight will be the first big thing I buy next. That way I will be able to decide if the FSB is in my way when looking thru optics, or not a problem with the optics. And that will help me decide on what style rail I want. I will pick up a sling at my next trip to the local shop. I ordered the extended magpul butt pad for the stock that will provide a little more cushion and support, and a B.A.D. lever.

Feedback Score
    Two more good posts while I was typing my last one. Thanks for the info guys. I will look into everything mentioned. I appreciate the feedback and your opinions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    I have six 30rd Pmags and really like them. I will be buying more. I am a fan of the polymer mags and became that way from running them in my SKS.
    Do yourself a favor and get some good milspec aluminum mags as well. Put Magpul floorplates on them and give them a spin. I think that you'll like them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm shocked that "get a sling" hasn't been the first words of advice in this thread. Unless I missed where you said you have one (has happened in the past), a sling is like a holster for your rifle. I can't imagine one without the other.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast