Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 bolt over base malfunction

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)

1911 bolt over base malfunction

Anyone know what would cause this when I release the slide stop on my full loaded mag on my 1911? Its a springfield loaded model with wilson 8 rd mags with FMJ winchester! It did this twice to me the other day. The gun ran without a hitch for the 75 rds I shot out of it except when I released the slide stop on full mags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Describe the final resting position of the slide and the round of ammunition when this occurs.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    the slide is about halfway into battery and the bullet is in the chamber but it gets caught on the top of the inside of the barrel! I just added a Wilson 18# recoil spring in it so I dont know if that has anything to do with it!

Feedback Score

BoB stoppage

*Most* 1911 stoppages are caused by bad ammo, bad mags, and extractor tension issues.

The below are suggestions and questions, in no particular order.

Is this gun stock? Has it been modified in ANY way?

The ammo would appear to be OK.

Remove the extractor and repeat the test. If the problem persists, it is not likely to be extractor related.

If the problem ceases when the extractor is removed, check for:

-excessive tension
    -extractor clocking
    -extractor engagement of the cartridge rim (how much?)

Load each mag with 1 round only. Shoot that round. Does the empty case get dragged back through the feed lips?

If you have a shock buff installed, REMOVE IT.

What is the weight of the recoil spring? Use a new condition 18.5 lbs spring. If you are using a 20, 22, or heavier spring, the cartridge rim can jump the extractor.

Does it do this with just one mag, or all mags?

How old are the mag springs in these mags?

Use a dial caliper to measure the width of the feed lips. If they are over .390", they are unservicable. Wilson will replace them at no cost (I received 15 replacements recently).

Try a McCormick 8 round Power Mag.

Try a Tripp Research Super 7 upgrade kit.

Whatever you do, don't change the profile of the feed ramp with a dremel or anything else.

I'm sure that others will be along with suggestions, but the above will get you started. Let us know what happens.

ALSO, be sure to be safe! Have a safe backstop. Wear eye pro and ear pro. Perform function testing when not at the range with inert ammunition.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    the slide is about halfway into battery and the bullet is in the chamber but it gets caught on the top of the inside of the barrel! I just added a Wilson 18# recoil spring in it so I dont know if that has anything to do with it!
    Was the case rim under the extractor hook?
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Yes its under the hook. Its weird because it only does it when I release the slide lock on a full mag!

Feedback Score

Stoppage

Remove the firing pin stop, firing pin and spring, and extractor.

Repeat your test.

If the problem goes away, it's the extractor. In this case, probably, too much tension.

Also, which mags are you using?

Feedback Score
    Try 7 round mags that have proven reliable and see if the problem continues.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Where to start.

Recoil spring in backwards (open end goes to the front of the gun).

No lube.

Shok buff installed. Don't do that!

Dirty gun, if you have never removed the firing pin and extractor and cleaned the channels and the pin and extractor. Also check firing pin hole for damage.

Bad magazine.

Did I say lube.

There are only three types: Trained, Un-trained or JAFO.
    Which one are you?

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    My recoil spring was in backwards! Damn I didn't realize that could cause a problem? The whole gun was taken apart including the extractor and firing pin the night before I shot and it was well lubed. The mags could be an issue since they were used when I bought them. It did have a shok-buff installed when I bought the gun but I took it out before I shot it! Does anyone ever have problems with there Wilson mags not seating all the way even when you smack the crap out of them during reloads! It didnt seat properly at a gun match two weaks ago when I was reloading. The first time it did that I made sure i smacked it in but it did it again two stages later?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast