Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACOG TA50 3x24 - eye relief?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

ACOG TA50 3x24 - eye relief?

I'm trying to find out how flexible or short the eye relief is on the TA50 type ACOG, 3x24, as I've read contradictory comments. This series:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...mid=3%20x%2024

With some ACOGs the stated eye relief is somewhat misleading, because the real eye relief on some models, particularly the TA33 and to a lesser extent the TA11, is far more flexible and useful at a longer distance than the specification. I assume the TA33 will have better eye relief than the TA50, but the wider field of view and smaller overall size of the TA50 is interesting.

Can someone familiar with the TA50 comment on its eye relief, both the distance for best view and the flexibility to use at closer/farther from the eye? If you are familiar with the TA11 or TA33 and can compare the eye relief of either one of those to the TA50 that would be especially helpful. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Take this with a grain of salt...

My first ACOG (early 2000s) was a ta50, I think. It was awesome because it was so tiny and light and had pretty good FOV. Back then they didn’t have BDCs in the tiny models. The eye relief also sucked. I say take it with a grain of salt just in case I’m misremembering the model. I don’t think I am, or they may have improved things in 15 years.

The eye relief of the ta33 is insanely long. It’s also crazy Light. The ta11 is my favorite BAC ACOG for overall performance. It seems to work best in reduced sun and has very forgiving eye relief. I’m still a big fan of the ta01nsn with an offset or top mounted red dot.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks, NongShim. It sounds like many years, but by memory how would you compare its eye relief to a TA01/TA31 model? I'll pass on trying one if it's just as short, but if it has even 3/4" longer eye relief then it might work for the specific purpose I have in mind.

Feedback Score
    I've tried several ACOG models and the TA33 is the only one with adequate eye relief in my experience. I've never tried a TA45 or TA50, but the TA44 was pretty weak in the eye relief department.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I've tried several ACOG models and the TA33 is the only one with adequate eye relief in my experience. I've never tried a TA45 or TA50, but the TA44 was pretty weak in the eye relief department.
    TA33 and TA44 have exactly the same eye relief.

On some ACOGs the eye relief stated by Trijicon appears to be correct, on some other models it appears to be far from the real practical eye relief.

TA31 ER 1,5" - spot on
    TA11 ER 2,4" - spot on
    TA33 ER 1,9" - actually ER 4"
    TA44 ER 2,4" - actually ER 4"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    TA33 and TA44 have exactly the same eye relief.

On some ACOGs the eye relief stated by Trijicon appears to be correct, on some other models it appears to be far from the real practical eye relief.

TA31 ER 1,5" - spot on
    TA11 ER 2,4" - spot on
    TA33 ER 1,9" - actually ER 4"
    TA44 ER 2,4" - actually ER 4"
    I actually think the quoted eye relief for the TA44 is pretty close. It certainly didn't have the eye relief of the TA33.

Feedback Score
    I actually think the quoted eye relief for the TA44 is pretty close. It certainly didn't have the eye relief of the TA33.
    Have you tried to contact Trijicon to inform that they have stated a wrong eye reliefs for their sights? According to their specifications, the TA44 has a longer eye relief than TA33. I have owned both, and my experience is that the practical eye relief for both sights is 4in.

Feedback Score
    Have you tried to contact Trijicon to inform that they have stated a wrong eye reliefs for their sights? According to their specifications, the TA44 has a longer eye relief than TA33. I have owned both, and my experience is that the practical eye relief for both sights is 4in.
    I couldn't see crap through the TA44 unless I had the sight mounted all the way back on the AR's receiver (i.e., no room for BUIS). I bought mine around 2011-2012 IIRC. I wonder if I got a bad one or if they changed it since then.

I never had an issue with the TA33: plenty of eye relief.

Feedback Score
    I couldn't see crap through the TA44 unless I had the sight mounted all the way back on the AR's receiver (i.e., no room for BUIS).
    I had a KAC BUIS and three free slots before my LaRue TA44 base. I did a quick image search on TA44 setups that people run, and almost all results seem to support my experiences. You may have tried some other acog such as TA01nsn or TA31, not the TA44.

Feedback Score
    I had a KAC BUIS and three free slots before my LaRue TA44 base. I did a quick image search on TA44 setups that people run, and almost all results seem to support my experiences. You may have tried some other acog such as TA01nsn or TA31, not the TA44.
    No, it was the TA44. That I'm sure of. Maybe my eyesight is different because I wear pretty thick glasses? I noticed I couldn't put lens covers on the TA33 either because that immediately created parallax.

Or, I should clarify the lense covers created shadows at the edges of the lense so that there was less light transmission and I had to hold my eye closer to it.

I was diagnosed with borderline glaucoma in my right eye a few months ago, so it's entirely possible I was experiencing early issues with that eye when I had my TA44.

Still, the TA33 is perfect for me in regards to eye relief.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-28-18 at 14:33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast