Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Switchblade Laws

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Wow. That's so silly and irrational.

I remember Lotboy had some issue when he got his automatic a few years back. I can't remember exactly what the issue was, but it was like he was buying a firearm or something.
    I've been carrying automatics for the past 10 years without any problem. Of course, I'm also active-duty military and take the time to learn the laws of each state that I visit.

LEO's seem largely ignorant of the state and local laws governing knives, but it's not my place to educate them or put them in a situation where they may have to make a judgment call.

Now, if you want to talk about stupid: My CWP allows my to carry my handgun concealed in North Carolina, but I can not legally conceal my Benchmade automatic knife (open carry only).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been a SC CWP holder for 10 years. I was a RCSD reserve deputy for 4 years. Every year in training there were always scenarios that involved a CWP holder (normally during traffic stops). Every year the MAJORITY of officers were ignorant of the CWP laws. They wanted to take the pistol, arrest the CWP holder, etc just because the holder was there and armed. That's why I suggested contacting your state regulatory agency or an attorney.

Get the statute and print in on a card and put it in your wallet.

It's a sad fact that a lot of LE don't know these laws, but it's reality. The vast majority would put you in "investigative detention" and check with a suprevisor if they didn't know and then send you an your way.

Make it your job to ensure you are compliant with your state laws. Just my .02.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Yeah, I just bought a CWP badge because I don't want an "excited" LE putting rounds down towards me if I'm involved in a self-defense shooting. I resisted buying one for many years, but a buddy of mine that teaches concealed carry classes convinced me to buy one.

FWIW, I can't find anything in Georgia statues that make open carry of automatic knives illegal (with the exception of schools and a city ordinance).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    FWIW, I thnk the CWP badges are a bad idea.

I still think you should call the GBI or whichever agency is responsib;e for dissemenating update legals to LE agencies. For example, here in SC I would call the SLED Regulatory division.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    FWIW, I thnk the CWP badges are a bad idea.
    This is a bit off topic, but why?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
    This is a bit off topic, but why?
    CCW Badge discussion

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)

Thumbs down

Thanks, but that was just about a totally worthless thread. Bad idea, got it. Not much sound reasoning or discussion though. There was definitely an air of arrogance on the part of the members in that thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The whole impersonation of an officer thing is a big one for me. I understand wanting to ID yourself in a use of force situation, but I think this is the wrong idea.

Are you going to wear it on a lanyard around your neck? In a badge wallet? On your belt by your weapon? They all scream cop intentionally or not.

When I was a cop I carried a badge. Now I'm not and I don't. I would have seen it as a poser with unknown intentions. In contact with LE, at least here, you have to show your CWP anyway. I don't need a badge to do that. If I open my wallet and intentionally or unintentionally flash a CCW badge, I don't think it would fly too well with the locals. I just don't get warm and fuzzies from it.

It's your life, do as you wish. I just don't like em.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Excellent points. Here's what Florida's Division of Licensing says (I'm a Florida CWP):

QUESTION 9. I am a Florida license holder, and I have recently received a solicitation in the mail for an "official badge" identifying me as such a license holder. Are these badges legal? Does the Division endorse these badges?

No, the Division does not endorse these badges, but they are not illegal. There is nothing in Florida law that specifically prohibits companies from offering to sell these badges to Florida license holders, nor is there any provision that prohibits license holders from carrying such badges.

License holders should be aware that the use of official badges is prohibited in Florida Statutes in a couple of places. Section 30.46 specifies that a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star can be used by Florida sheriffs and deputy sheriffs only. Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen as a license holder. (Retrieved on May 14, 2008, from http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...ed_carry.html)
    Interesting article covering the con's: http://legallyarmed.com/resources/fakebadge.html

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.
    That one right there should be enough to make you not want the hassle of proving that it was an unreasonable person who thought you were a cop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast