Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 V. M16 Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

AR15 V. M16 Bolt Carrier

Ok guys, probably a very stupid question, but whats the difference between an AR15 bolt carrier and an M16 bolt carrier?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Left to right: AR15 carrier, AR15 carrier, M16 carrier

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

Photo from ar15barrels.com...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    Ok guys, probably a very stupid question, but whats the difference between an AR15 bolt carrier and an M16 bolt carrier?
    If you didn't know, the m16 bolt carrier is preferred by a lot of people because it's heavier.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the education. ANy9one have an idea why AR bolt carriers are like that? Weight savings? Material savings?

Feedback Score
    A M16 carrier is for use with a NFA (National Firearms Act) registered lower receiver for a full auto weapon. Possesion of parts to make a full auto weapon without a federal tax stamp and proper papers is a felony. The law is strictly enforced. I personally would not even consider having a M16 carrier because I'm a civilian.
    That could show intent of full auto capability and cause serious legal problems, fines and time in federal prison.
    A word to the wise.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by techo View Post
    A M16 carrier is for use with a NFA (National Firearms Act) registered lower receiver for a full auto weapon. Possesion of parts to make a full auto weapon without a federal tax stamp and proper papers is a felony. The law is strictly enforced. I personally would not even consider having a M16 carrier because I'm a civilian.
    That could show intent of full auto capability and cause serious legal problems, fines and time in federal prison.
    A word to the wise.
    100% false disinformation. Colt 6920s, 6520s and 6721s (all semi-auto) come with full auto carriers as do some other brands.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I stand corrected.
    So, it's ok to have a full auto capable upper? I thought having full auto parts was illegal if you were a civlian.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techo View Post
    A word to the wise.
    False, it's only the lower receiver fire control parts you have to worry about. M-16 Bolt carriers are ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast