Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: FLIR Personal Thermal Imager for I-Phone 5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you for that information. That does help me in my decision making.

Feedback Score
    My wife has been dying for these to come out, she finally bought one and received it today. We haven't had it long enough to tell you about battery life, but it's not too bad on the size and weight. It's about like adding one of those Mophie battery packs. Seeing how the next in line FLIR unit is close to $2k, the ONE will do the trick for our light utility and recreational uses. It works well for comparing relative hot and cold areas, so I do think it would work for looking for leaks, hot spots, etc. (For the record, neither of us are affiliated with FLIR or the optics, imaging, firearms, etc. industries.)

Ceiling in my bedroom, from this afternoon. You can easily see the heat from the fan motor, as well as the heat from the skylight to the right and the coolness of the AC vent to the left. (And yes, that is Darth Vader on my dresser...)

This is my wife standing in total darkness tonight, in the shadow of my shop (to the left) and a fairly thick umbrella of trees above, blocking out the moon and my outside lights. Without the FLIR, I couldn't see her at all, and she was wearing a white t-shirt.

This is the 'Hottest' filter, and that is a lit cigarette in her hand. I didn't take a pic, but even from about 15-20 yards, the cigarette ember was easily seen and highlighted red by the FLIR.

This horse belongs to the neighbor across the street, 'Coolest' filter, as you can see by the blue sky. It's a white horse, and was still very hard to see in the dark, especially when standing still. (It was walking when I took the pics.)

Same horse, 'Hottest' filter.

The image you see when looking at the phone is much sharper and more detailed. In most of these pics, I'm holding the camera by hand, with no support, the subjects were moving, and the area is too dark to capture the base image. Basically, as you can kind of see in the first pic taken in the day lit room, it overlays the thermal imaging with a contrasted/line-drawing version of the picture the phone's camera would take on its own. All of the other ones were shot in very dark conditions, where the camera wasn't picking much of anything up, leaving all of the 'work' to the FLIR. As mentioned above, it's not going to be on par with the much more expensive FLIR gear, but for basic heat comparisons on home/repair stuff it should work pretty well, and it definitely can see warmblooded living things in the dark that your eyes can't.

As one would/should suspect, it doesn't do 'night vision.' In a dark room where the floor and furniture were all pretty much the same temp, there was little to no contrast to be made via temperature differences. I tested that just to see if there might be enough difference to see around obstacles in the room, but it was not the case.

For the price vs. what it does, I think it's a fair value thus far.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    looks like a neat thermal locator for downed game...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    mmm this looks like a good X-mas present to myself.
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies. - C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Has the android compatible one been released?

Feedback Score
    It didn't look like an android version has yet, just from a quick Google search. I would be interested in one if they did. Is this capable of being mounted on a weapon?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've seen the thing in action. It works as advertised.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678