Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR 15 A2.5

Feedback Score

AR 15 A2.5

Now just what, pray tell, is an "AR 15 A2.5?" Well, here goes.

For a number of years I’ve been stuck on the idea of an AR “short rifle” instead of a carbine. I envisioned a beautifully balanced, proportional little rifle that would have a 16” government contour barrel (not the M4 style) and a fixed butt stock. As far as I know, nobody ever tried to market such an animal, at least I couldn't find one anyway. So I finally got my gumption up and put one together myself. (Actually I only built the lower, Spikes built the upper, which is why I didn't post this in the Build forum.)

What I did to arrive at my ultimate end, my “short rifle,” was to take a Spike’s Tactical 16” mid length flat top upper receiver assembly and mate it up with a standard, A3 lower receiver assembly. And boy howdy does it mount, point, and swing like a million dollars. I can’t range test it until we get through the second ice age around here, but if it shoots as well as it handles, what a sweetheart it will be.

In the hands of a six foot, 190 pound shooter

One of my biggest goals was to keep it mechanically clean, simple, and relatively unsophisticated. Mission accomplished. The Spike’s upper receiver assembly came with an M16 bolt carrier and a 16” government contour CMV/CL barrel with a 1:7 rate of twist, and a MagPul MOE forend. The rear sight is an LMT. The Spike's lower receiver is eagerly awaiting its ALT (ACS) Combat trigger. It has an Armalite ambi selector and lower parts kit, a MagPul MIAD pistol grip, and a JP Enterprises tuned buffer spring. To preserve the look I was after I topped it off with a (gasp) black M1/M14 sling. So as such things go today, it’s a pretty plain Jane rifle. But do I ever like it – wow.

What will I use it for? Fun. And if, by some chance, a serious social occasion arises and I can't get to my LMT, well, I'll use it for that too. I really don't think reliability will be an issue.

And what is the "AR 15 A2.5" thing all about? Well, the little rifle looks a bit like a cut down A3, so I just cut 0.5 off of the nomenclature and jokingly called it my "A2.5." Now, as Paul Harvey said, You have the whole story. Thanks for listening.

JayPee
    Last edited by JayPee; 01-09-14 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    Very cool setup. While I can appreciate a tricked out AR, I still have a soft spot for simple. Is that an A2 stock or A1? Looks like an A2. I put together something very similar using Magpul's carbine fixed stock. Enjoy!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Very cool setup. While I can appreciate a tricked out AR, I still have a soft spot for simple. Is that an A2 stock or A1? Looks like an A2. I put together something very similar using Magpul's carbine fixed stock. Enjoy!
    I'd like to see an A1 stock as well.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the nice words, gents. I had a ball feasting on the simplicity aspect myself. The stock is an A2. I toyed with the idea of using MagPul's fixed A2 stock but didn't think it would give me the sleek look I was after.

I sometimes think I've finished tinkering with the concept, but in all honesty a pencil barreled version of this rifle is sure appealing..........Who knows? Thanks again.

JayPee

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    There are quite a few people running around with similar configurations. I think markm has one or something similar.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    That's weird I sorta went 1/2 one way then other. Originally I took an A2, added a A1 stock from CavArms(I like the shorter LOP), not bad. Next I took an A3, added an m4 type stock with an h buffer, and fell in love. Its a bit front biased in handling but handles well. I like your idea too!
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looking good. I too have an almost identical setup except I went with an A1 length stock and have a few extra things on it. I've developed a fondness for the A1 fixed stock in general of late and after having such a good outcome with it on a midlength I gave it a try with a CAR length upper as well. Shot and handled nicely but it has some bugs (unrelated to the stock/rifle buffer) that need fixing.

Feedback Score
    While I am really enthusiastic about this little rifle, I have to restrain myself just a little until I can have a goodly range session with it. It should shoot well, but, you know, that remains to be seen. it's nice to know other people like this concept as well as I do. I enjoy comparing notes and appreciate you gents stopping by. I'll keep you posted on how it shoots as soon as I can get some decent weather. Best wishes.

JayPee

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Makes me think of a mini 14. But of course way more accurate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That'd be sexy with a carry handle and a midlength triangle handguard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast