Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time buying sights with tritium lamps

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

First time buying sights with tritium lamps

I'm picking up a GLOCK later this week, so I had some Warren/Sevigny two dot sights ordered and shipped to me. Anyway, this is my first experience with buying night sights and I noticed that the lamp date for the front sight was "10" whereas the rear was "13".

I understand that the tritium lamps are guaranteed for 12 years. So my question is, is it normal to receive a sight whose lamp life is already 33% spent? I was wondering if this is normal at all. Otherwise I'll talk to the dealer who sold it to me though I doubt it's his fault as he most likely didnt package the product.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I'm picking up a GLOCK later this week, so I had some Warren/Sevigny two dot sights ordered and shipped to me. Anyway, this is my first experience with buying night sights and I noticed that the lamp date for the front sight was "10" whereas the rear was "13".

I understand that the tritium lamps are guaranteed for 12 years. So my question is, is it normal to receive a sight whose lamp life is already 33% spent? I was wondering if this is normal at all. Otherwise I'll talk to the dealer who sold it to me though I doubt it's his fault as he most likely didnt package the product.

Unless he sold the original rear form the set and replaced it with a new one.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've never jumped on the tritium wagon due to wanting to avoid issues that many people report to have. I can't stomach the price knowing the possible issues. My brother dropped almost $200 on 'new' tritiums & front sight was dead (super dim) a week later.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Target practice at night is not normally productive..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Buy from a good company and they will make it right for you. Trijicon sent me new sights after a gunsmith (so called) cracked a front vial on my HD's installing them. No bickering, they just sent me a return label and I had a new front in a couple of days.
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    The only thing I can tell you is to use them and see how long they last. My first set of tritiums were Trijicons installed in 1991 they lasted almost 20 years although they were rather dim and you had to squint to see them.

For my most recent set, I installed them myself and the front sight lasted a day. The lesson to be learned is to get a sight tool rather than drive the sight into the dove tail with a steel punch and hammer. Cost of replacing that front sight by sensing it to the sight mfg was the same as a sight tool.

In between, I've had tritium sights on average be usable in low light for ten years.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I was just curious if it was normal to have a sight that's already four years in, especially when I paid for brand new ones.

I did once shoot a P220 that had some from 1997 and they still glowed.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Aren't they date stamped on the sight as well? I seem to remember hearing about some that got shipped in older dated packages but had more current dates on sights. I personally would not be happy with a mis-matched set if I paid for new.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes, the date on my front sight is '10. The rear is '13. I've never bought H3 sights, so I wasn't sure if it was normal that they came mismatched or if someone dropped the ball on my package.

They came in a little baggy.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My issue is resolved. Warren said they'd exchange it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast