Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon HD Sight POI Question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Trijicon HD Sight POI Question

I'm testing a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights on a Gen 3 G17. It's easy to shoot good groups with them, but POI issues are driving me nuts.

At 10 yards, POI is 2.375" over POA.
    At 25 yards, POI is 6.25" over POA.
    At 50 yards, POI is 12.5" over POA.

Basically, my zero is somewhere between 150 and 200 yards. Aside from the color difference, Trijicon makes two versions of these sights, the GL101 and GL104. I'm thinking I may have ended up with a GL104 set when I needed a GL101 set.

Does anyone know what the difference is between them?

thanks,

Okie John

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'm testing a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights on a Gen 3 G17. It's easy to shoot good groups with them, but POI issues are driving me nuts.

At 10 yards, POI is 2.375" over POA.
    At 25 yards, POI is 6.25" over POA.
    At 50 yards, POI is 12.5" over POA.

Basically, my zero is somewhere between 150 and 200 yards. Aside from the color difference, Trijicon makes two versions of these sights, the GL101 and GL104. I'm thinking I may have ended up with a GL104 set when I needed a GL101 set.

Does anyone know what the difference is between them?

thanks,

Okie John
    In order to get POA to equal POI at 25 yds for my three G19s and two G34s with my carry ammo, Fed 147 grain HST std pressure (P9HST2), I had to go with a taller than stock front sight. They all shot about 2-3" high at 25 yd in my hands with the stock sight heights. Based on my experience it appears to me that POA/POI mismatches with 9mm Glocks (at least with 147 gr ammo)aren't unusual.

This is a significant reason I am using Ameriglos exclusively on my Glocks now. They offer a variety of sight heights.

Feedback Score
    okie john,

Can you send a picture of your sights?

There's just no way that's possible unless something is really, really wrong.

My impression of these is that I use a "cover" hold from ten yards in.

At 25, they should be pretty much POA/POI using a center hold, not even a six o'clock.

This is on a Glock 17 or 26. I have them on both.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlshooter View Post
    okie john,

My impression of these is that I use a "cover" hold from ten yards in.

At 25, they should be pretty much POA/POI using a center hold, not even a six o'clock.

This is on a Glock 17 or 26. I have them on both.
    I'll be happy to post a picture of them when I get home from work this evening.

I want these sights to work. I really like them--they're easy to see, fast on target, and I shoot good groups with them. Also, the difference in POI between using the ball and the top of the front sight for POA is small--0.75" at 10 yards, and 2.5" at 25 yards.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It certainly does sound like you got the 104's intended for the 20/21 series of Glocks. If my memory serves correct the rears on the 20/21 series are a bit taller than the 9mm. Would explain why you're shooting high all the time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rear sight

Front sight

Agreed.

I swapped emails with one of their customer service folks today. He's been helpful, and pointed out that since I never shot the gun with the stock sights, we have no baseline and the gun may be at fault. I doubt it's ammo--records of tests with a different G17 show that load I used hits squarely in the middle of where a dozen or so other loads hit.

The Trijicon CS guy also mentioned that the GL101 front sight is .215" tall, while the GL104 front sight is only 0.200" tall. A difference of 0.015" doesn't account for the POI discrepancy I'm seeing, so it seems doubtful that I got the wrong set of sights.

I ordered an Ameriglo front blade last night. I'll re-install the factory plastic sights and shoot a few groups with them this weekend. Then we'll have another piece of the puzzle.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Remove the HD sights and reinstall the OEMs. Shoot and see where you're at. I have heard of POI deviation in the 9mms with the HD sights, but not to the extent you are experiencing.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OK, just got back from the range.

This G17 hits in exatly the same place with the factory sights as it did with the HDs, so it's not the sights. I'd kinda like to hang on to this one--it's relatively accurate and I've put 1,500 rounds through it with no issues, including 650 in a class.

There's a real temptation to just stick a taller front sight on there and call it good, but I see a certain logic in sending it back to Glock.

What do you guys think?

Okie John

Feedback Score
    Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by careboy View Post
    Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.
    Sorry--not sure I'm following you.

Okie John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast