Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerber Ultimate fix blade knife

Feedback Score

Gerber Ultimate fix blade knife

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gerber-U...809605#overlay

I need a couple fixed blades for everyday carry. Never needed a carry blade but since moving to southern Lauisiana i feel its necessary.
    Is the Gerber Ultimate fixed blade a decent knife?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That is not the knife I would get if
    you feel you "need one", presumably because you'll need to use it for something important.

Spend a little more and get an ESSE 3 or 4 depending on size preference.

That or a griptilian which is pretty close to a fixed blade due to its lock up.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gerber-U...809605#overlay

I need a couple fixed blades for everyday carry. Never needed a carry blade but since moving to southern Lauisiana i feel its necessary.
    Is the Gerber Ultimate fixed blade a decent knife?
    For under $30, should be perfectly functional but depends on what you want from it, plan to use it, etc. I don't even see what steel they used for it, unless I'm just not seeing it, probably 440c if I had to guess, which is ok SS steel that will tolerate use and abuse.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    That is not the knife I would get if
    you feel you "need one", presumably because you'll need to use it for something important.

Spend a little more and get an ESSE 3 or 4 depending on size preference.

That or a griptilian which is pretty close to a fixed blade due to its lock up.
    I do "need one" for everyday use such as cutting vines from my walk behind weedeater, chopping the heads off snakes ive shot, grabbing branches, etc. Until i moved here i never dreamed i would need a 22lr but now i use mine weekly sometimes daily.
    I will check out your reccomendations.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    For under $30, should be perfectly functional but depends on what you want from it, plan to use it, etc. I don't even see what steel they used for it, unless I'm just not seeing it, probably 440c if I had to guess, which is ok SS steel that will tolerate use and abuse.
    Looks like its made from 7Cr17MoV stainless steel. I have no idea if thats good or bad

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks like its made from 7Cr17MoV stainless steel. I have no idea if thats good or bad
    It's Chinese and a modified 440A steel. Many will say it sucks, yada yada, it's perfectly ok cost effective cheap steel. If I was going to be inserted into enemy territory where the idea of a knife failing on me could be a bad day, I'd care more and want the best I could afford. I have spent big $ on knives, very little on knives, and for your casual uses and such, it will work just fine, will hold a decent edge, resist rust, etc and if don't, you can throw it out and get another one for under $30 you spent. Like every hobby, knife guys will tell you if it's not latest greatest super steel (and a new one comes out regularly to sell new blades...), you are throwing your $ in the toilet. It's just not true.

Having said all that, for not much more, you can get better steel. Setting the budget at under $100, and narrowing down via search at www.bladehq.com will bring up a lot of options.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-15-22 at 12:18.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice Will. Im going to try out these Gerber knives. If they quickly fail i will let you guys know.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the advice Will. Im going to try out these Gerber knives. If they quickly fail i will let you guys know.
    I bet it holds up just fine.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I'd certainly spring for a bit more of a knife, especially considering you intend to use it often.

I believe a fixed blade knife should check all the quality boxes. But, I own quite a few AMTAC and Winklers, so I am biased big time.

ESEE 3 S35VN is what I recommend to most anyone wanting a good fixed blade.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I own multiple ESEEs and like them a lot. You might look at the Kabar Beckers also.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast