Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Dvor has these on sale for $169 again.

I'm skipping, but it sure is tempting.
    I think we all want it to succeed, but an autopsy is needed.

It only takes one weak link in the entire production recipe to ruin it. Maybe the heat treat was too hot, held too long, etc. Maybe the quench wasn’t cold enough. Maybe they would benefit from a different heat treat strategy and a post production cryo regime?

Hopefully they get it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Did they send you the new bolt yet? Did they give an explanation as to what caused the original bolt to break?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    Did they send you the new bolt yet? Did they give an explanation as to what caused the original bolt to break?
    Customer service was excellent, they sent a new bolt out as soon as I emailed them with my purchase receipt and pictures. They suspected it was from the bad batch of bolts from 2013 where the hardness was too high.

I only put ~550 rnds through the new bolt. Not problems yet...

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    So, to be clear, you have confirmed info that the KAC is A100 as well? I’ll take your word for it but I want to be clear on what you’re saying.

Not confirming or denying anything. As much as you would trust info in a casual conversation with someone from KAC.

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I would assume that 9310 has the potential to be heat treated, stress relieved, hardened, shot peened, etc into a good 5.56 bolt. But it would be folly to overlook the truly massive amount of research that has gone into the Carpenter 158 bolt we have now. It’s not just “a bolt”, but an incredibly specific series of complex steps to turn a piece of certified bar stock C158 into a mil spec bolt. It’s like thanksgiving dinner.

So, for new materials, I’m not shocked that we are seeing teething problems because no body of work exists for a recipe for those materials to be turned into a bolt. I’m confident these issues will get worked out, but this is a testament to the research that has gone into the C158 bolt. I suspect that is something that most take for granted.

I’m hopeful that the SRC reliabolt will get the kinks worked out. More quality options is more better for all of us.

Indeed, at 3x the cost of C158, Aermet 100 is simply not cost effective. Im hoping S7 could provide that solution. They just need to get the recipe right.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-12-18 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Customer service was excellent, they sent a new bolt out as soon as I emailed them with my purchase receipt and pictures. They suspected it was from the bad batch of bolts from 2013 where the hardness was too high.

I only put ~550 rnds through the new bolt. Not problems yet...
    Good on them!!!

Not confirming or denying anything. As much as you would trust info in a casual conversation with someone from KAC.
    Roger, I’m tracking. I certainly wouldn’t doubt it, based on KACs’s penchant for quality. I appreciate the clarification.

Indeed, at 3x the cost of C158, Aermet 100 is simply not cost effective. Im hoping S7 could provide that solution. They just need to get the recipe right.
    At least on paper, S7 has the potential to have the right combo of core ductility, surface hardness, fatigue strength, etc in order to make a quality bolt. Unlike the original AR10 bolt, there just isn’t hardly any excess material for the AR15 to provide that geometric safety net.

Thank you for the update.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wouldnt take anymore chances on S7 bolts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Heck, my first “generation” relia-bolt is still running strong in my 10.5” SBR. Over 2000 (yes, I know) rounds of various 5.56 loads through it with no signs of issues.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Heck, my first “generation” relia-bolt is still running strong in my 10.5” SBR. Over 2000 (yes, I know) rounds of various 5.56 loads through it with no signs of issues.
    Mine broke without warning at ~3k rounds. I wouldnt trust it in any serious use rifle. My replacement S7 bolt lives in my training rifle.

Picked up an LMT enhanced bolt on Black Friday for roughly 2x the cost of a good C158 bolt. If it lasts the life of the barrel Ill be getting my money's worth.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-27-18 at 00:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldnt take anymore chances on S7 bolts.
    The 308 bolt is listed as being made from 9310.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We have been hoping this would work for damn near half a decade. Time to walk, IMO. Not trying to sling barbs, but, we just need a new idea. S7 isn't the one. Want a solution? A100, or C158/9310 with proper treat and a good coating. yes you would pay for A100. But you won't be worried about CS for broken bolt returns, so there's that.

Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast