Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I just checked it out on their site, kinda rad and kinda impressive if it proves out. The strength numbers are hard to argue with, I'm not going to bother digging out my Carpenter book, which doesn't list 158 anyway, but as those numbers are easily checked I doubt they'd fib on that.
    So, safe to say that S7 has legitimate potential?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think so. I'm sure there are a good many steels out here that have potential and have better or theoretically better qualities than C158. And I'm certainly not downing C158, it seems to work.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I think so. I'm sure there are a good many steels out here that have potential and have better or theoretically better qualities than C158. And I'm certainly not downing C158, it seems to work.
    I'm tracking. I still have confidence in my C158 lmt phosphate bolt.

Thank you for chiming-in.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'll stick with mil-spec. It's proven, and I've been bitten by "wonderproducts" like QPQ'ed bolts, for example, before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I'll stick with mil-spec. It's proven, and I've been bitten by "wonderproducts" like QPQ'ed bolts, for example, before.
    I understand the sentiment but, in this case, this is more than just a plain old bolt with a fancy coating. There might actually be something here that offers enough of an improvement to be worth the layout of cash and the investment of time and ammo. The use of a possibly superior alloy combined with the lug geometry that allows more clearance for crud seems to offer some specific advantages that I don't see from any other source.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I don't buy into stuff in general--I'm fine with non-hammer forged barrels, regular triggers polished a bit, etc.--but I really like the idea of an S7 bolt, even though in years of being around AR carbines, I've only seen one bolt with lugs sheared off. I've read about and seen plenty of pics of broken bolts, so I've always wondered why they didn't with a stronger steel and reshaped surfaces to optimize the performance. I don't know if this is a huge improvement, but it seems well designed. Had it required proprietary parts (extractor, springs, etc.), I probably wouldn't have gone with it--that kept me away from the KAC SR15s even though I hear they're great.

I decided to try out the relia-bolt, and while I might not know what to think for a long time, so far I'm happy with it--though I have a milspec BCM spare if I need it.
    Last edited by evi1joe; 03-23-14 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    I decided to try out the relia-bolt, and while I might not know what to think for a long time, so far I'm happy with it--though I have a milspec BCM spare if I need it.
    How's the bolt been treating you? Any updates?

I'm hoping we'll see a 308 Relia-Bolt sometime in the not too distant future.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    How's the bolt been treating you? Any updates?

I'm hoping we'll see a 308 Relia-Bolt sometime in the not too distant future.

Agreed. Looking forward to evil Joe's comments.

It seems that 6.8 would greatly benefit from this type of redesign as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    It seems that 6.8 would greatly benefit from this type of redesign as well.
    It probably would but I'd be surprised to see Sharp's support the 6.8 when they're working on marketing their own medium bore AR cartridge.

Speaking of that, has anyone messed with the .25 Sharps yet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got this via email today. I wish Sharp's had provided data about the test regarding who did it, what type or ammo was used, etc.

May 2, 2014
    Sharps Relia-Bolt Fires 7,500 Rounds Jam Free in Independent Test

Glen Rock, Wy.-- The new Sharps Relia-Bolt for Ar/Msr rifles consecutively fired 7500 rounds of .223 ammunition during an independent firearm test without a jam.

"We were not trying to set a record. We just told the testers to shoot it till it jammed. After 7500 jam free rounds and a fried barrel, we felt good about the Relia-Bolt's reliability." said Tim Lesser Sharp Rifle Company's VP of Sales and Marketing.

The Ar/Msr bolt features an innovative rounded and tapered lug design,S7 steel and NP3 coating.

"The test results give us confidence in stating the Sharps Relia-Bolt is the most reliable Ar/Msr bolt in the world," Lesser noted.

The Relia-Bolt has a lifetime warranty and is available through srcarms.com and retails for $149.99.

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast