Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a decent OTF knife for me?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Not auto or OTF, but given the advice to trend away from those, you might want to look at the ZT 0566. Like you, I carried inexpensive Kershaws for a long time and then decided I wanted something better. The 0566 has been my favorite so far. It deploys quickly with the flipper, is easily closed one handed, and the assisted opening can be removed if you desire. The Hinderer design is fantastic for EDC, and it fits easily in your budget.

I also have a CR Umnumzaan, but I'd rather carry the 0566.

Sorry to drift from your original question, just thought I'd throw that one out there for your consideration.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you just have to have an OTF for the cool factor and don't care if it is a durable tool then buy a cheap chicom knock off.

If you want a usable, durable tool that happens to be OTF then look at the Piranha Excalibur. It's way out of your preferred price range but then so are Microtech and Benchmade's OTFs and the Piranhas are much beefier and durable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLP Standard View Post
    Id say you are correct. Ill admit it. 75% of the reason I want an auto knife is for the coolness factor. 100% of the reason I want an OTF knife is the coolness factor. 25% of the reason I want an auto knife is it really does make opening (and closing in the case of an OTF knife) much easier. I work in a medical warehouse where opening boxes and packages is a high probability (among other uses) in the day to day activities of my job. This is where pulling out and deploying the blade one handed might come in handy, hence the auto function being a nice feature to have. If I settled on a non-auto knife, I would want it to be opening assisted at the very least.

Bottom line is, Ive been carrying the same $25 Kershaw since 2004. I want a nice knife to carry at work, and I thought something "tacticool" would be neat to have, and figured if Im going to spend the money on a new knife which I would potentially carry for 10+ years I would buy something decent. Do I need an OTF knife? Of course not, but I've always thought they were cool and would love to have one. Do I even need an auto knife? No, but again, I thought they were cool, and I think it could be beneficial in my job.
    This may be the most honest "why I want it" statement that I've ever read.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This may be the most honest "why I want it" statement that I've ever read.

Okie John
    Agreed. Its OK to get something just because its cool. Let's not kid ourselves.

FWIW a good assisted opener will do just as well long term as an Auto Knife w likely more durability. I love my ZT 0300. Its my edc.

ZT makes great knives. But if you open up the search from auto to assisted open you'll find a lot more option w different prices for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harm View Post
    Agreed. Its OK to get something just because its cool. Let's not kid ourselves.

FWIW a good assisted opener will do just as well long term as an Auto Knife w likely more durability. I love my ZT 0300. Its my edc.

ZT makes great knives. But if you open up the search from auto to assisted open you'll find a lot more option w different prices for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Thanks for all the advice. Don't think Im completely disregarding all the advice you guys are giving. Im taking into consideration the benefits of a good old fashioned manual side opening knife. I still think I want an OTF knife though, and if I'm really that unhappy with it and find I need something more durable, it's no big deal to pick up a manual Benchmade for my EDC knife.

Honestly, the most I will ever be doing with this knife is opening boxes and possibly using it in self defense one day when the SHTF and I just happen to have it in my pocket. Im not going camping with it, I dont believe in the zombie apocalypse, and I don't plan on building a house with it when I get stranded on the "Lost" island. As long as it can handle light-somewhat moderate every day use (and the blade feels solid when deployed) and it doesn't break on me just deploying it a few thousand times, Im happy with it.

That said, I'm considering pulling the trigger on a RavenCrest Tactical, more than likely the Black Widow model:

http://www.ravencresttactical.com/sh...dow+OTF+Models

Does anyone know anything about them? They supposedly have a lifetime no questions asked warranty, and are MIA out of Gilbert, AZ. It's a new company (started in 2012) so theres very little about them on the net as far as reviews, but what little Ive read gives them high praises. They could go two ways:

1. New company making high quality knives selling them at a low price:quality ratio trying to get their name out there or;

2. Total overpriced garbage that no one has bought yet hence no reviews to date
    Last edited by GLP Standard; 01-17-14 at 14:28.
    "...any handgun being considered for serious law enforcement or self-defense use should be chambered for a cartridge that has a 4 as its first number and preferably a 5 as the second."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude, I don't care what anyone says - I used to sell knives for a living and Microtechs are overpriced PIECES OF JUNK. I had so many customer issues and getting them to return a knife that had been sent in for warranty work was like twisting someone's arm. I would get so frustrated dealing with their CS. They are an unreal company. I lost two $400+ knives to them and they never answered their e-mails. I've dealt with every major brand's CS and theirs is by far the worse. Save your money and buy a Taiwanese clone. On a whim I bought a $34 Scarab clone and not only does it hit harder than the real thing, but there's less blade play. They look identical. Sorry Microtech guys - you payed too much for your knife. I took a few of these apart - there's a reason why you need special tools to disassemble them - because they don't want you looking inside to see how frail of a "tool" it really is. I would skip D/A and get a strong S/A OTF like a Dalton, Protech, etc... Double actions are fun and I support American business, but I don't support gouging - just buy a clone - I've opened and closed mine at least 1000 times and it still functions as new. It's sharp. It's less than $40. It may be counterfeit..yadda...yadda.. morals... but I'm not giving Marfione another red cent of my money!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out blade ops.com,free shipping and low prices,they have nice autos and otf knives just be carefull, most double edge knives are against the law, here in TX they made switchblades legal but not double edge..I have ordered alot from blade ops and have been happy with every order..

Just got in an esse 4 ,,what a bad ass fixed blade knife for 100 bucks!

They have a bunch of the otf knives there.For the cheaper end,, for cool only factor,, they sell a nice cheap otf that people seem to rave about.Just do a little research on there otf under 25 bucks section..and the shippings always free..
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 01-17-14 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Going to resurrect this one. After searching around for awhile; I found CobraTec. They are just an importer but are based here in Texas. I picked up a black with tanto blade model. It seems well made for being Chinese. There is little play in the blade and the mechanism is very smooth. I will put it through some use and will report back with findings.

https://www.cobratecknives.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    Going to resurrect this one. After searching around for awhile; I found CobraTec. They are just an importer but are based here in Texas. I picked up a black with tanto blade model. It seems well made for being Chinese. There is little play in the blade and the mechanism is very smooth. I will put it through some use and will report back with findings.

https://www.cobratecknives.com
    And back from the dead. How did the cobratech knife work out in the long run?

Those Microtech's look nice.

Any other new entrants into the OTF knives in the past 2 years?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Really, if you need a good, but respectable auto, without Microtech pricing, why OTF? The Kershaw Launch series are Auto's, so one handed operation is still there, but without the complexities of an OTF. They use CPM-154 for the steel also.

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives?search=launch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast