Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: DPMS GII .308

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    I couldn't finish watching. It was painful.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Have to agree. That sales guy is a tool.

Feedback Score
    I handled the new G2 Compact Hunter at SHOT this week, and it was 6.5lbs. It's very well balanced and ultra light.

I handled the new Remington R25 Gen II at SHOT, and it's a solid-feeling rifle based on the DPMS G2, with some unique Remington specs that make it different:

* Upper Receiver 1913 Rail has an indexed notch in it at the front to interface with their specific lightweight handguards

* Carbon Fiber Handguard with vents

* Unique stock with a special recoil pad

* Infinity camouflage which is embedded into the material deeply, unlike their previous hydro-dipped patterns on the R25. You could see how deep the camo pattern was in the vent holes, and it appeared to be at least 2mm of depth.

Here's a write-up on it from The Firearm Blog: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...mington R25 G2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Have to agree. That sales guy is a tool.
    Isn't the Remington sales guy a former USMC infantry officer?
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I don't know. If so, he's an embarrassment to the Corps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, anyway, does anyone have experience with a recently-purchased rifle and some recently-manufactured Gen3 PMAG magazines? Has either DPMS or Magpul done anything about the failures to lock the bolt open?
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So, anyway, does anyone have experience with a recently-purchased rifle and some recently-manufactured Gen3 PMAG magazines? Has either DPMS or Magpul done anything about the failures to lock the bolt open?
    Shot my friend's G2 Recon purchased last summer yesterday. I really enjoyed it and we didn't have any issues with PMAG M3 LR10 mags. Shot 175gr FGMM, 175gr HSM M118Lr Equiv, 175gr Remington Premier Match, and 175gr SSA. I had my MK216 and MWS out as well and the Recon certainly handles better than both, but would greatly benefit from a heavy buffer or AR-10 pattern buffer system (we're going to put one on my friend's gun). I liked the stock 2-stage trigger a lot more than I expected to as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    On several other high-end AR10's in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308, I had nothing but FTFeed malf's with new PMAG's.

My old 1st Gen 7.62 PMAGs work fine. Something has happened with the later Gen PMAGs, at least in the 7.62 NATO/.308 formats.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I handled the new Remington R25 Gen II at SHOT, and it's a solid-feeling rifle based on the DPMS G2, with some unique Remington specs that make it different:

* Upper Receiver 1913 Rail has an indexed notch in it at the front to interface with their specific lightweight handguards

* Carbon Fiber Handguard with vents

* Unique stock with a special recoil pad

* Infinity camouflage which is embedded into the material deeply, unlike their previous hydro-dipped patterns on the R25. You could see how deep the camo pattern was in the vent holes, and it appeared to be at least 2mm of depth.

Here's a write-up on it from The Firearm Blog: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...mington R25 G2
    I've been think about getting a gasser for a hunting rifle but wasn't sure which one to get until I read this. The only problem now is finding one. My LGD says he can't get one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    On several other high-end AR10's in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308, I had nothing but FTFeed malf's with new PMAG's.

My old 1st Gen 7.62 PMAGs work fine. Something has happened with the later Gen PMAGs, at least in the 7.62 NATO/.308 formats.
    They're more reliable with SR-25 pattern guns and just about anything with that geometry than anything else out there, and we're more than happy to bet on that.

The problem with .308 guns is there is no M4/M16 TDP equivalent that folks are building to. We chose to design to SR-25 geometry, as it's the closest to a program of record standard that there is. Some .308 designs just scale up the AR-15 geometry, or build to a specific mag, which isn't or may not be consistent with mag catch, bolt catch, and presentation height/location in the SR-25. We build to that SR-25 geometry and maximize presentation angle and functionality to that geometry. If a .308 gun builds to the scaled up AR or even to the SR-25 mag specs rather than to the rifle geometry of the SR-25 you can end up with some weirdness, surprisingly enough. The GII is an example of that, and due to the way our presentation is setup, we can't fully modify the mag follower for the GII without creating the possibility of locking the bolt back on most other guns with a round left in it. Right now, we consider bolt catch function as "marginal" with the GII and we may be able to tweak a tiny bit to help it without affecting function in Knights, LMT, Larue, older DPMS, Ma-Ten, New Armalite, Mega, Ruger, JP, etc., but not fully get it where we want it.

The other problem with general functionality is there are a ton of variables in ammunition, gas system length buffer weights, tube lengths, spring weights, powder burn rates, etc., etc., even more so than 5.56 guns that all can be maddening with some .308 gas guns, but can all usually be tweaked to get what you want with the right choices based on what you want to do with the rifle.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Sitting on the sidelines and watching this one playing out I can only imagine how difficult it must be to engineer and manufacture a one size fits all (most) magazine for this platform. It truly must be a nightmare. However, I see many like myself making a complete turn to the AR platform once we can get the reliability we've come to expect from say the 5.56mm. I could forsee finally letting go of 2 precision bolt guns and my beloved Fal. We're so close now with the GII if Magpul can nail this down for me the wait will be over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast