Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is the military using .300 blackout?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

is the military using .300 blackout?

it seems that 300 blackout is very popular. it gets a lot of attention these days.

my question is this: does the military currently use 300 blackout? what uppers are being fielded and what is the prospect for major adoption by sof groups?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    as has been stated many times, the type of units that might be using this are a bit busy to be posting it on an internet forum.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Don't expect it to be adopted in any quantity. I was talking to a pretty high speed guy the other day (he uses a Glock 22 at work but it's not that work) and he hadn't even heard of it.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    it seems that 300 blackout is very popular. it gets a lot of attention these days.

my question is this: does the military currently use 300 blackout? what uppers are being fielded and what is the prospect for major adoption by sof groups?
    I could be mistaken, but I doubt very seriously that anyone within DOD channels (officially or otherwise) is even really aware of what is going on with 300 Blackout, much less authorized to use it. This is effectively an industry-led movement, and a further development of an established Wildcat round that has been embraced largely by private shooters -- not anything the military ever asked for, or was prepared, interested-in or authorized to use themselves.

There may be guys out there in uniform that are carrying them, of course, but if so, I suspect that we would be talking about small teams of dudes who aren't wearing nametags. More like protection details than the kinds of assets that would be fielding or carrying them in quantity.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the reason I asked the question was there seemed to be a disconnect between what is currently fielded and the supposed agenda of the .300 blackout.

the hk416 is the suppressed SBR of choice. its piston system makes suppressed SBR barreled operation more reliable while maintaining the ergonomics and modularity of the massively adopted m4 platform.

unless HK makes a .300 blackout hk416... how would this round ever make it into the hands of sof dudes? I don't see it as a possibility that the sof community would move away from the already adopted 416 for suppressed SBR solution. and let's admit it, the .300 blackout is primarily targeted at suppressed SBR use.
    Last edited by trinydex; 11-21-13 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post

Yes. And thats all I will say on that.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The only use I'm aware of is the Army Marksmanship Unit running competition guns in BLK in order to hit a major power factor for certain events.

Suppressed SBR is also an area where 6.8SPC shined previously in various loadings, and that was a minority adoption cartridge as well. I suspect there are some limited unconventional uses where BLK might shine (e.g. denied pattern kit with a take-down bolt gun and a suppressed SBR that can share a can), but actual numbers if any are going to be small.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    User "M4Guru" has some older posts about users in the SOF community using them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Military use of the 300BLK goes back to the 300 Whisper. It has a place. I don't expect it will ever be widely used or type classified. It has, with certainty, been used. So has 510 Whisper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I doubt very seriously that anyone within DOD channels (officially or otherwise) is even really aware of what is going on with 300 Blackout, much less authorized to use it. This is effectively an industry-led movement, and a further development of an established Wildcat round that has been embraced largely by private shooters -- not anything the military ever asked for, or was prepared, interested-in or authorized to use themselves.
    It was publicly said during an NDIA presentation that 300 BLK exists due to a military request. AAC decided to commercialize it rather than limit the products to the military. This required getting the cartridge put into SAAMI and the commercial channels.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 11-23-13 at 14:19.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast