Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 blackout w/o suppresor

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

.300 blackout w/o suppresor

So I have a lower that needs a new wife. I was looking at maybe .300 but I live in Iowa and suppressor's are a no go (yet). Better off just sticking with an upper in 5.56 and load up on heavier grains? I know very little about .300 but I've been trying to read a lot, but everybody mentions it being suppressed. Any help would be great. Thanks!

I've been down the 6.8 road and don't really want to go back, by the way.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    SBR is the other consideration. I suppose if you want a really short SBR then that might be enough reason to try 300BLK...

For me, a 8-9" 300BLK SBR would not be worth it over a 11.5-12.5" 5.56 SBR, without the suppressor wildcard.

What other uppers do you have? Buy CBC MK262 clone ammo and you should be covered for your 5.56mm needs!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    What other uppers do you have? Buy CBC MK262 clone ammo and you should be covered for your 5.56mm needs!
    Funny, I was going to say almost the same thing.

Among commercially available cartridges that fit in a standard AR15 magazine, using a 16" barrel, there is little to no benefit from any alternative cartridge compared to the best 5.56mm options. 300BLK throws a much larger bullet - but with a lower BC at a leisurely velocity. 6.8 is a modest but useful upgrade, but then you're stuck with limited mag options, special bolts, etc. and you said you have BTDT.

300BLK shines for a suppressed SBR, but I haven't found it to make much sense for a 16" without a suppressor. I bought into 300BLK early in its introduction and still have an upper but hardly ever use it.

Feedback Score
    What do you want the rifle to do? Super short sbr? I'd go with 300blk. If you want to hunt deer, but 223 is not legal, 300 is a good option. I would stick with 223 down to 12.5", any shorter and I'd get a 8 or 9" 300, but just my opinion. Plenty of people happy with their 223 10.5" rifles.

I wouldn't add another caliber to do the same thing my current rifles do. Some people are into that though.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-28-15 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks, guys. SBR is also out unless I run it as a pistol and I'm not interested in that. I have a 14.5 bcm upper right now and was thinking of adding a ddm4v11 if I stick with 5.56. My local shop just started getting some imi mk262 in stock so I've been grabbing that. Sounds like I know with what I'm sticking with.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    Thanks, guys. SBR is also out unless I run it as a pistol and I'm not interested in that. I have a 14.5 bcm upper right now and was thinking of adding a ddm4v11 if I stick with 5.56. My local shop just started getting some imi mk262 in stock so I've been grabbing that. Sounds like I know with what I'm sticking with.
    FWIW, the IMI 77 gr. ammo has not been near as accurate as the CBC 77 gr. ammo, for me. The IMI stuff isn't bad, but if it isn't considerably cheaper than $0.60/rd, I would purchase the CBC 77 gr. online.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Since you cannot have a suppressor, how about a 7.62x40 WT?

Here's a link:

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/762x40-project.asp

I have thought about buying a 16" .300blk barrel and rechambering it in the 7.62x40. It would be noticeable increase in velocity for supersonic loads.

Paul

Feedback Score
    As mentioned, .300 BLK really shines when SBR'd and/or suppressed. If neither or both of these aren't an option for you I would stick to 5.56. If you are looking for a larger caliber to use for hunting then I would ask that question specifically (as I don't know the answer). Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    I built a 16" 300BLK and it's a neat little rifle if you reload. I actually enjoy shooting it more than my 5.56 rifle. The local Cabela's, Gander Mtn and Walmart all stock factory ammo but it's probably not going to be as cheap as 5.56mm for a long time if ever. Price is more like buying .30-30 or .308 Winchester so I won't be using it in any carbine classes.

I built the .300 when 5.56mm was a hot topic, supplies were low and the popular media was shouting for a ban. The ability to make brass from used 5.56 and use cast bullets intrigued me. It's 7.62x39ish with 125gr jacketed bullets and I'll deer hunt with it this year.

I'll probably build a second rifle as an SBR eventually and may do a silencer too.

If it begins to bore me I'll shelve the barrel and screw on a 5.56.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 09-28-15 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks again, guys. No rifle hunting for deer in my area of Iowa, so it would mostly be a range gun, home defense type deal. I'll just stick with 5.56 and find a good upper. Thanks again guys. Best forum on the web!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast