Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: DPMS GII .308

Feedback Score
    Just watched the video. This MK318 is way to penetrating for any kind of inside home defense.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.robbdee View Post
    Is the Colt AR901 16S that bad of a product? I did some research on Colt and they are about to enter into Chapter 11 so that should pretty much answer my question. Not a good sign for an American icon. I just don't see how such once a great company can be so badly mismanaged into being bankrupted. I guess they made their living off of military pork? Thank You Plasman for your advice... Robb
    The Colt 901 is a very good rifle, possibly the best design they've produced. I would be a little concerned about parts availability if they go bankrupt, since a lot of its wear parts (bolt, barrel, charging handle) are proprietary and as far as I know no one else is making compatible parts right now. I would hope that Colt either comes out of ch11 much healthier, or that an existing healthy and quality maker like BCM or DD might buy up the design and produce it. That's all speculation though.

I think the DPMS gen2 looks like a nice platform for the kind of things you're looking to do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In ending, Is the Colt AR901 16S that bad of a product?
    The AR901 is far from a bad product! That said, I don't really see how it differentiates itself from the competition much (unless you're into the whole caliber switcheroo thing), while at the same time costing the same/more and possibly being more difficult to change the things you stated your end goals were. Bad wouldn't be the way to describe it, but rather lower value for your requirements IMO.

From your envisioned use case of primarily being a range gun, I assume you'll be shooting it off of a bench mostly, so in this case the AR-10 DEF might not perform as well as the G2 or the 901S with a heavier/match barrel. Some G2 models come with a 2-stage trigger that isn't half bad.
    Last edited by Plasman; 06-09-15 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    Thank You SomeOtherGuy, Your facts stated on the good chance of going bankrupt are my main concern. I just wish the DPMS G2 Recon would become available. The only DPMS G2's I see that are being sold on the market, I only want a 16" carbine version, are the AP4 and the MOE. I really don't feel a .308/7.62x51 rifle set up with a Carbine Length Gas System is a good idea? That and their inability to keep the BCG in the open position with the new Magpul magazines. I have seen a lot of video's were the bolt slams closed when the magazine is tapped. There is a video circulating around were a man modifies the magazines to stop this from occurring. So far there have been positive remarks about the mod. Thank You...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just wish the DPMS G2 Recon would become available.

That and their inability to keep the BCG in the open position with the new Magpul magazines. I have seen a lot of video's were the bolt slams closed when the magazine is tapped. There is a video circulating around were a man modifies the magazines to stop this from occurring. So far there have been positive remarks about the mod. Thank You...
    Just wait for the Recons to come back in stock, they'll be back.

My friend's G2 Recon works just fine with the latest PMAGs. I have lots of M3 20 and 10rnd bodied PMAGs and we haven't had any issues with any of them in his G2 Recon.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone, You guys and this forum are great and as soon as I can get one of those Recon's there will be a Stainless Steel DPMS G2 in my gun locker and out on the range. With it all ready having a two stage trigger. I'll be able to save my SSA & SSA-E for something more needed??? One thing though, I will get that Primary Arms 1x6 scope, for a little mag for my 52 year old eye's... Thank You all so much. Hope they are available by at least Veterans Day, for my earned gift to myself, with extra some money for P-Mag's and a bunch of different grain ammo to see what she likes to eat? Thank You All Again Fellas... Have a great summer!!!!
    Last edited by mr.robbdee; 06-09-15 at 20:15.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I really don't feel a .308/7.62x51 rifle set up with a Carbine Length Gas System is a good idea?
    From what I understand the pressure curve of a .308 is different from that of typical 5.56, and a shorter gas system may be just fine. I'm not an expert though.

Even in 5.56 a 16" barrel and carbine gas can work just fine, as seen in the Colt 6920 (and otherwise as long as the port size is correct), although the midlength also works fine and is generally preferable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    From what I understand the pressure curve of a .308 is different from that of typical 5.56, and a shorter gas system may be just fine. I'm not an expert though.

Even in 5.56 a 16" barrel and carbine gas can work just fine, as seen in the Colt 6920 (and otherwise as long as the port size is correct), although the midlength also works fine and is generally preferable.
    FWIW I have a GII ap4 with a carbine length gas system and I'm swapping it with a premium rifle length gas system barrel first chance I get.

It's reliable, but I have too many bent case rims and it just "feels" abrupt when I fire it, if that counts for anything.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert1775 View Post
    FWIW I have a GII ap4 with a carbine length gas system and I'm swapping it with a premium rifle length gas system barrel first chance I get.

It's reliable, but I have too many bent case rims and it just "feels" abrupt when I fire it, if that counts for anything.
    Do you think an adjustable gas block would help anything?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Do you think an adjustable gas block would help anything?
    I have a syrac adjustable and yes, it does help, but it does completely solve the problem. Its a timing issue. The round is trying to extract too early.

Again, this is only with hotter, heavier loads. Hornady Superformance 178, light magnum, and a couple other varieties. Most lighter, slower rounds do just fine, but the brass on my GII bull is in better shape as a rule. Shoots softer too.

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast