Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: DPMS GII .308

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Out of all the guns at SHOT this year, this is the one that grabbed my interest. The one-piece carrier, new upper design, new bolt design, and the lighter weight of the rifle systems . . . a lot of work went in to this one and (I think) it shows. I'll be interested to how they do out in the field, but I could see myself putting one in the safe. Think my only gripe is the Recon model (the one I'd probably be buying) could use a longer handguard, but that will be an easy enough fix.

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I don't know what they are asking for this rifle, but depending on cost, it might be worth considering, given the price of the model below with dual ejectors and a far higher degree of fit and finish and of course, reputation for reliability.
    I'm seeing the 16" Stainless model (The "Recon") for $1200 and up on Gunbroker right now. Makes it pretty easy to get into the .308 game.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Yeah the recon looks pretty sweet!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Okay, this has definitely piqued my interest.
    From what I have learned thus far is this:
    - Smaller, lighter overall dimensions and specs.
    - New extractor, elastomer in place of extractor spring.
    - Double ejectors
    - Commercial spec buffer tube (Boo). That's okay, can be changed.
    - Shorter carrier necessitates shorter, proprietary charging handle. 7.62 ones are too long, 5.56 ones too short. Hopefully, BCM and Rainier start making theirs in this length.
    - Rounded bolt lugs.
    - Extended feed ramps, good times.

All in all, looks promising.

However, my main question/concern is the bolt, let me explain.
    Given that the .308/7.62x51 is wider at the base that the 5.56, and that this bolt is the same diameter as the 5.56, is there enough "meat" on the bolt for long term durability?

From what I understand, 7.62x39 AR suffered bolt issues for this very reason. I do notice that the LMT MWS/DPMS GenI .308s/KAC/Sig 716/etc. bolts have more material around the lugs than the DPMS GII.

See this picture posted above for reference:

http://s273.photobucket.com/user/cra...a37ff.jpg.html
    Attachment 24614

I am interested to hear input on this as far as potential long term durability, etc.

Thanks.
    '
    The bolts aren't the same size or design as an AR15 bolt. I think these things are going to hurt the sales of some of the bigger/newer AR15 cartridges. These are less expensive, they weigh about the same, they are apx 200fps faster and ammo is easier to find and cheaper and pmags work in them.
    What's not to like?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

DPMS GII .308

Ordered a GII SASS. Can't wait for it to get here. I did order a 7.62 BCM charging handle though I wasn't thinking about the new BCG so I will have one in the classifieds soon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Its a sharp looking rifle, I bet they sell a ton.
    SCAR 17 FDE
    Noveske Afgan

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I looked at the models they have online and like the looks of the Recon. I wish it had a bit longer handguard. At least long enough to cover the gas block. I've been tinkering with the idea of a 7.62 AR platform and at this price point if the weapon is reliable and performs it is definitely an option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackit View Post
    Ordered a GII SASS. Can't wait for it to get here. I did order a 7.62 BCM charging handle though I wasn't thinking about the new BCG so I will have one in the classifieds soon.
    Please get some pics and initial thoughts posted as soon as you can.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Please get some pics and initial thoughts posted as soon as you can.
    Roger that, still waiting on the FFL call shouldn't be much longer. Picked up 200 rds SSA 168 gr HPBT for $22 a box. Scope, rings, SJC Titan all on the way. She will be getting burnt bronze treatment aswell.

Feedback Score
    Midwest industries has released a 12 and 15 I think, keymod handguard for the gii so it definitely covers your need. The only thing meaningfully lighter is going to be a bcm kmr and even then only by a couple of oz I think so it's not a bad setup.

I've heard it also worked with anything using the standard ar nut although I'd look for confirmed reports first.

Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I looked at the models they have online and like the looks of the Recon. I wish it had a bit longer handguard. At least long enough to cover the gas block. I've been tinkering with the idea of a 7.62 AR platform and at this price point if the weapon is reliable and performs it is definitely an option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hygienist View Post
    Midwest industries has released a 12 and 15 I think, keymod handguard for the gii so it definitely covers your need. The only thing meaningfully lighter is going to be a bcm kmr and even then only by a couple of oz I think so it's not a bad setup.

I've heard it also worked with anything using the standard ar nut although I'd look for confirmed reports first.
    I'm going with the MI 15" keymod on my sass. Should be out within a month from what I am told.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast