Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lube and the Polar Vortex.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide View Post
    It was windy, as usual, and a balmy -5F.
    Lube was Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil..................... but still no issues.
    As a side note: this is the kind of weather for iron sights.
    Optics did come on, but the lenses frosted over, even with a slight silicone treatment.
    I have run Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil at sub zero temperatures in my area with zero problems. I am interested to know how the thicker lubricants the OP is testing perform.

I have had the same experience with optics when moving from outside temperatures to inside temperatures, which were 70 degrees higher. I like having ready access to iron sights.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Science!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Kevin, I apologize in advance for the sidetrack, but what did you use when you were in the Canadian military? And are you thinking of doing a compare/contrast to that, with the three samples you have here?

Stay warm up there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    2200 EST

Oh I agree on Irons as a must for arctic operations.

I live in the country - my dogs would eat anyone on the porch as well...
    Plus I have many more guns
    Interesting, never had an issue with my acog at - 20 F or so. When its that cold weapons stay outside, no going in and out of the tent.

I wiped my bolt down prior and used a graphite lube. Did not have any issues with my M4 in the Arctic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have run Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil at sub zero temperatures in my area with zero problems. I am interested to know how the thicker lubricants the OP is testing perform.
    The oil I use is designed for V-twin engine and, with a rating of 20W-50, is quite thick and does not run as much as other synthetics.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xjustintimex View Post
    My froglube turned into goo when it got cold. I went back to slip2k
    But was the goo problematic? And how many rounds before it was flowing again? I like the goo characteristic in my climate. It keeps the BCG lube in place unlike any other lube I've used.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Past two winters used FL in around 0*F weather in several rifles. Weapons were outside for days. Didn't check its gooeyness, just whether they fired or not. The rifles fired. guys who used it on their 1911s had cycling issues. Had to clean FL out and use something else. Anecdotal, but there you go. I'm placing my money on all three function.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a buddy who lives in Fairbanks Alaska. He has used FL in -50 without issue. I myself have used it in the +10-15 range with no issues. The key is to make sure ALL excess is wiped off after application to leave nothing to freeze. To be fair I have not used fireclean so I do not have a comparison.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Inspirational! I ran out and put Slip EWL, Mobil 1 and Breakfree CLP on a few clean crescent wrenches and left them in my shed overnight and the same inside. It was single digits here last night and when I went outside about an hour ago none had frozen. The EWL and CLP pretty much felt the same and moved as easily as the "control" while the Mobil 1 was a little thicker but still moved around easier than the EWL, as it normally does. Not scientific and not nearly as good as an actual shooting experiment like Mr. Boland's, but it's the best I'll ever be able to do where I live. All in all it increased my confidence in the EWL I use. Thanks for the idea and I'm eager to see the results of your test.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In Canada we used Arctic Weapon Oil (appears to be the same as US LAW - Lubricant Arctic Weight) it is rather cancerous. With the FN C1A1 weapons we used graphic - but the galvanic corrosion on the M16/C-7 weapon fleet makes that a no go, and went to CLP as well - and lived with it sucking.

It only got down to 6 last night.

My wife video'd some of it - but I ran over time, and lost some of the footage cause of that (stupid iPhone...)
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast