Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drop in left side charging handle AK platform

Feedback Score
    I doubt it would shave more than a tenth of a second in a reload (if so, the charging handle is too far forward) for a user well trained in the AK, at the cost of added complexity, uncertainty about durability/reliability issues, a different manual of arm from all others AKs, and more cumbersome left hand use.

For me, not only is a "a solution for a non-existent problem" but the original design is probably better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think that it's interesting that the 2 western AK variants, the FN FNC and Sig 550, thought it was a good idea to cover the slot for the reciprocating charging handle slot on those rifles. As does the original AK design.

I'm generally adverse to changing military pattern rifles away from the stock configuration, as the benefits rarely outweigh the compromises.

H

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Wow, that Linch looks like it needs to be on my SBRed Draco.
    As far as lightning bolt, have seen people cut and re-weld charging handle to left side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLz33Cg97E (< first vid that poped up, there is other info on net) Not for me though, don't like the open air for debris to get in dust cover and possible mess up bolt works (more so than Linch).
    BTW not the first time I've heard harsh words used about lighting bolts owner, but douche has been one of the nicer terms used.
    I've seen a DIY version that was a standard bolt carrier drilled and tapped for a knurled knob to be threaded in, and topped with a standard dust cover with a relief cut for the mod. This seems like a far better option than dropping $275 for a special bolt carrier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123