Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drop in left side charging handle AK platform

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It does not look too complex at all. The point will be whether it is rugged in the long run. I think the videodemonstrates that it should NOT be a problem, and the 'old method' is still instantly accessible if there is a problem.

But it would change the manual of arms for your AK - and mostly for the better. It would definitely improve the manual of arms in certain positions. I don't not think anyone would say that the AK charging handle sitting on the right side is an advantage as opposed to the FN FAL or the Sturmgewehr. It is likely a vestige of MK using M1 Garand and M1 Carbine aspects.

Use with an ultimak or similar set up would be fine. But if you have several AK's you may have to use a different manual of arms or buy one for each, as it may require some fitting - and tis may be an issue for some. The one video misses the point entirely this is not a left handed man's solution.
    Last edited by m4brian; 01-25-14 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fhk96 View Post
    Unnecessary complexity that is beyond the original design envelope. Novelty at best imho.
    The original design 'envelope' is obsolete, which is why the AK is being left in the dust.

Short of replacing the entire weapon, which is really the only way to free yourself of the AK baggage, many shortcomings of the system can be overcome by innovative thinking and adaptation. Besides, it's fun to make stuff, and modify guns. Some modifications are good. Some, it could be argued, not so much.

I dig the AK for what it is...an AK..but I think progress is cool too.
    Last edited by eodinert; 01-25-14 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    I put the first generation version on an AK and I was not impressed with the fit. It has too much movement in it, maybe 3/4 of an inch, before it engaged; I did not like how that felt. Otherwise, it was fine. I sold the AK.

The second generation may have solved that problem. However, I've joined the point of view that it is a solution for a non-existent problem.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

"The nine most terrifying words in the english language are 'I'm from the Government and I'm here to help'." Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    The original design 'envelope' is obsolete, which is why the AK is being left in the dust.
    How do you arrive at this conclusion?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Interesting concept. The only major problem I see besides having to change ones instilled weapons manipulation is that the Handguard is now even smaller. I think that they should come up with a new handguard/forearm to go with this devise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fhk96 View Post
    How do you arrive at this conclusion?
    By comparing it to contemporary, modern weapons.

Feedback Score
    I would rather run a AK Lighting bolt with a Ultimak/T1 combo.

It's not standard set up but seems stronger, simpler.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=ak%20...ng%20bolt&sm=3

YMMV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrunner View Post
    I would rather run a AK Lighting bolt with a Ultimak/T1 combo.

It's not standard set up but seems stronger, simpler.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=ak%20...ng%20bolt&sm=3

YMMV
    Not supporting a douche such as Navarro, plus the Linch gives you the advantages of left side charging without having to open up both sides of the dust cover and the Linch's charging handle folds down to be less obtrusive

Feedback Score
    All these designs are open on the left side to varying degrees.

Less obtrusive? Maybe but folks don't seem to have issues with non folding ones - SCAR-17, etc.

Did Navarro treat you bad? Seems so.

Does it work with Arsenal/Bulgarian 100 series left folding stocks?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow, that Linch looks like it needs to be on my SBRed Draco.
    As far as lightning bolt, have seen people cut and re-weld charging handle to left side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLz33Cg97E (< first vid that poped up, there is other info on net) Not for me though, don't like the open air for debris to get in dust cover and possible mess up bolt works (more so than Linch).
    BTW not the first time I've heard harsh words used about lighting bolts owner, but douche has been one of the nicer terms used.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 01-30-14 at 21:13.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast