Thread: Remington 700 Chamber Problem

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Remington 700 Chamber Problem

I have a Remington 700 "Long Range" in 300 Win Mag. I got it new a while ago, but finally got out to shoot it last week. The first round I fired stuck in the chamber, but I was able to coax it out with steady pressure on the bolt handle. This was a very mild load, 73gr h1000 with a 208gr A-max. The case came out with some indentations which turned out to be from a ridge that runs 320 degrees or so of the chamber, at .166 beyond the cut for the belt. There is a pretty significant ledge/ridge in the chamber that can easily be felt with a paperclip as it is slid from the breech to the muzzle, inside the chamber. The 74 gr. case shows that the ridge protrudes about 2 thou. The extractor slipped of the case when I loaded 1 round at 74grs, and I had to bump it out with a cleaning rod. These are the only 2 round I have fired through the rifle. Looks to me like someone tried to finish my chamber with a chipped reamer, or overloaded it with chips. I hope that it can be finished out without lengthening the throat beyond where it is at, since I can just hit the lands with a 208 gr. Amax and still get loaded rounds in the magazine.

I am looking for advice on where to bring the rifle locally in West Michigan (Grand Rapids Area) in order to have someone finish ream the chamber. I'm sure that the rifle is under warranty with Remington, but I really don't want to lose my rifle for the whole summer. I'd rather pay someone local and good to do the work, without the atrocious shipping and wait times at Remington. I would also be willing to drive some distance. I am incredibly disappointed about the down time now that I finally have time to shoot.

Please recommend a rifle smith for me!
    In Memomoria Mei Fratris.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Is your 700 involved in the Remington recall?

You might get two birds with one stone if you plan on keeping the stock trigger.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, I'm assuming it is. Perhaps that is the better option. I do plan to keep the x-mark pro, at least until someone gives me a new trigger. Which isn't going to happen.
    In Memomoria Mei Fratris.