Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 fired, on safe, while bolt being closed

Feedback Score
    Crazyness I just picked up my remington 700 sps tactical aac in .308 last month

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bello View Post
    Crazyness I just picked up my remington 700 sps tactical aac in .308 last month
    I purchased the same rifle last year - never fired a single round through mine with the stock trigger. I installed a Timney 510 before the first round went into the chamber. I set the pull to 3 pounds and have banged the rifle around, slammed the bolt, did everything to make the hammer drop - but so far it only does when I place the safety on fire and pull the trigger.

Good to hear no one was injured - this is exactly what safe gun handling prevents! That said, is it me or does leaving loaded (round in chamber) guns unattended - or in the bed of pickup trucks - seem like an invitation to disaster?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Just curious what potential liability could the manufacturer be under? Could Fox sue Remington? Demand a replacement weapon?

Feedback Score
    Want to keep on eye on this thread.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Here's exactly how most of the triggers in remington 700's "malfunction."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f5c_1390262705

Note the users trigger finger placement.
    Last edited by orkan; 01-28-14 at 15:45.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Here's exactly how the triggers in remington 700's "malfunction."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f5c_1390262705

Note the users trigger finger placement.
    I don't really think that accounts for all of the discharges. But Paul Howe has described this exact scenario as well. It's a good idea when testing your 700 safety to go ahead and attempt to firmly pull the trigger with the safety engaged and then disengage the safety.

There are too many high quality, safe, reliable, and affordable trigger options available for the 700 to go screwing with set screws and removing thread locker...particularly if you don't add new thread locker to hold the new setting.

Feedback Score
    I realized that post was slightly inflamabory thopkins. That's why I edited to put the "most" in there. I've been standing next to someone that did the exact thing I linked in that video... and WATCHED them do it... only to have them swear that it was a rifle malfunction. That's the nature of most people.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    This must be just a sear engagement issue. So one quarter of a turn into closing the bolt the sear disengaged and let the firing pin go. And with the fact that the bolt was ejected it basically acted as a recoil operated semi auto and opened itself finally throwing the bolt out the rear. I would guess that the bolt couldn't be reinserted because on its way back it mangled up the bolt catch. Pictures would be great.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    I realized that post was slightly inflamabory thopkins. That's why I edited to put the "most" in there. I've been standing next to someone that did the exact thing I linked in that video... and WATCHED them do it... only to have them swear that it was a rifle malfunction. That's the nature of most people.
    Not looking to pound on you here after Thopkins22's comment but "most" who shoot on any sort of regular basis know not to have their finger on, let alone applying pressure to, the trigger while they check to see if their weapon is on safe.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm sure that SOME cases happen as Orkans video shows but enough have occurred for mechanical reasons to be wary of the rifle.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast