Thread: Numyth Vulcan Fire Piston

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Numyth Vulcan Fire Piston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZAAcclR5Y

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had one of those. but it started dieseling...

never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I had one of those. but it started dieseling...

OH yeah need that humor in these times ...

Good one..

Retarded timing ?

Feedback Score
    The fire piston, in all it's variations, has bee a viable fire starting tool for over 200 years. I would say 200 years makes the concept very proven. With updated materials like the above, how could you go wrong. The only issue I would have, and I don't think its a deal breaker, is the o-rings. But, with that said, o-rings can be scrounged and scavenge from a multitude of places.

I have never used the above, but I am going to purchase one and give it a go. I like it.

Feedback Score
    do you guys think fire pistons are worth the weight, compared to other fire starting tools?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JR3 View Post
    The fire piston, in all it's variations, has bee a viable fire starting tool for over 200 years. I would say 200 years makes the concept very proven.
    I wasn't there when it was first invented, but it's a safe bet that Flint strikers or Firesteel have been around Even Longer, and are an even better and more proven fire starting technology.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 03-09-14 at 23:23.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    do you guys think fire pistons are worth the weight, compared to other fire starting tools?
    I think the Exotac Nano Stryker or Strike Force are better tools or choices. I have used & tested most out there & used multiple times in Rain, Snow et al weather conditions for the money, size, weight ease of use.

I can't recall times (like 8 or so) I have demonstrated to other Pro Survival instructors time & time again who swear by Char-Cloth & Fire Pistons that this is faster, easier & a lot simpler than the "Bird's Nest" w/ Cotton & Vaseline or "Bag Balm" etc. They now use the Nano Stryker or similar. True story.

Here's a demo where he shows you some good realities etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX1FteUKxlE

Feedback Score
    interesting, thanks

i just use something like this (not exactly this, but very close), which is very light weight and cheap and simple. i've always wanted a fire piston, but just haven't been able to convince myself to haul it around

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I personally don't. for the weight of this tool, I can carry a magnifying lens, a BIC lighter, AND a firesteel. the fire piston is very reliant on the quality and moisture content of the tinder/charcloth which any of these other tools is less so. I put it into the category of gimmick. I think it's a cool demonstration of the power of compression however...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 03-10-14 at 14:01.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    interesting, thanks

i just use something like this (not exactly this, but very close), which is very light weight and cheap and simple. i've always wanted a fire piston, but just haven't been able to convince myself to haul it around

Yep those work just fine have about 4 of em as backup along with 7 Solar Blankets now. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast