Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been following these polymer lowers from Tennessee Arms?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got my lowers... currently on the fence.

Had issues with the safety fitting, and then a detent issue. Latter was operator error (safety detent stayed in the bag, used one of the three takedown detents in the Stag parts kit; been dealing with family in the hospital for the past two days, so wasn't exactly using all of the brain ). The safety took a few light hits with a small hammer to fit in.

Screwed in the rifle buffer tube, and when all the way in (this is the same on all three lowers), it doesn't reach the hole for the buffer retainer. All the way in, I can put the retainer in and take it out with no issue. Kind of stopped the build right there. But I also noticed that there is something up with the takedown pin holes... I installed the front one, and I need a punch/hammer to move it (extremely tight). The rear is the exact opposite... when I mounted the stock (MOE Rifle Stock) with the spring and detent, it is not locked in place. Tilt the receiver to the right, it freely falls open. It is retained by the detent, but not something useable. Might be the hole, so definitely going to be fun to pull them out.

I sent Tennessee Arms two emails last night; one was before I found the actual safety detent, and the second was apologizing for that mix up and stating the buffer retainer hole problem (the takedown pin issues I have not gone over with them, but will when they reply). Will wait on what they say, but giving my impressions thus far. I want to get this squared away, being I have about as much into transfers as I do in the receivers.

Shy of that, the receivers look like they should be good to go. It is polymer, but doesn't seem any cheaper than my Glock or M&P (was a little flashing, but would clean it up once I have a working lower). Weight is pretty nice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got a reply to both emails from John. Very willing to help/make it right.

I sent him pictures of the lower, buffer tube, and the hole position. Will keep it posted in either event, being you tend to see just the bad on the internet... I rather show the good (which I feel this will result in), as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wanted to bump this up, being my experience with Tennessee Arms has been very positive.

After the receivers came back from the buffer tube not reaching the retainer (they also checked the takedown pin holes for me; all lowers were good, as I checked them when they came back), I built one for my .45 D/I upper. I used a Macon Armory magazine block, which used a HK USC magazine. The follower on the magazine hits a finger on the magazine block, which pushes up the bolt catch. I could not get the bolt to lock back on an empty magazine with the polymer lower. Emailed both Tennessee Arms and Macon Armory, and did as much as I could to try to get it functioning... but could not get it to work. Both companies gave me some very good things to try, and Tennessee Arms did ask me to check if the bolt catch had enough room to travel (which it did).

I figured that the polymer was causing enough drag to not allow the follower to get the bolt catch to snag the bolt. I could manually do it, and tossing it in my forged (DPMS) lower, it worked 100%. So, I decided to send the three lowers I picked up back to Tennessee Arms for a refund and picked up a stripped Spikes from my FFL to transfer everything over. Before I did that, I put my 5.56mm upper on the polymer lower, and the bolt catch did work with an empty PMAG. I feel in a traditional setup, it would have worked 100%.

The return process was simple, and my card was refunded without issue. Everyone at Tennessee Arms was helpful and extremely pleasant to interact with. I wish I could have got the polymer lower to work in my instance, being I would likely have it just at 5.6 pounds with a magazine in it (minus the Aimpoint M4s that I put on). But I do want to stress that my demand on the lower was not that fair to decide if they were good to go, but without firing my 5.56mm upper on it, I feel that it would be good to go.

Even though I had issue with the lower in my build, I would not hesitate to recommend them for anyone looking to try them out.

Feedback Score
    I have 6 TA lowers. 2 are finished and on rifles and the other 4 are in various stages of a build. I even have one of the 308 lowers yet to be build. They make for a very nice light weight build. If you have limited skills in building a lower I suggest you buy a completed lower. They are priced competitively. IMGP3036.jpg

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    I have 6 TA lowers. 2 are finished and on rifles and the other 4 are in various stages of a build. I even have one of the 308 lowers yet to be build. They make for a very nice light weight build. If you have limited skills in building a lower I suggest you buy a completed lower. They are priced competitively. IMGP3036.jpg
    Is the lower pictured... OD green or Rifle green?

Feedback Score
    Following...from Tennessee.
    And from someone with health issues that ounces seems like pounds is seems like there will be many on board once reliability has been proven. Having to shoulder a rifle for minutes can seem like hours with certain health issues guys. Nice to see you here addressing the reliability also Dave. Will see how long it takes for my carbon fiber to wear out, (might not wait that long actually) before jumping on board with the polymer.
    Very good point early in the thread was look at how many here have a polymer Glock on their side.
    3rd Generation Veteran, (USN) that has always fought for our 2nd amendment rights.
    Molen Labe

Feedback Score
    Hello Mean carbine. Yes, the lower is OD green. TA put this one together and I fitted it to my upper. The other lower I have completed is on a rifle my son now uses. I have 2 pink ones for future use for my grand daughters, one Army green lower and a Field colored lower and a 308 lower for future projects.

MtnMan I put a Del Ton lightweight 16" carbine upper on this lower and my guess is it's right at 6 lbs or slightly less. I don't have a scale to weigh it on. I'm pretty sure it is much stronger than the carbon fiber lowers and close to the same weight. If you want to save some more weight use a Magpul back up sight instead of an aluminum handle.
    kwg
    Last edited by kwg020; 02-12-16 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Do they still manufacture the clear polymer lower? I don't see it on their website.

Apparently they manufactured translucent yellow and orange too.

Feedback Score
    Hello Meancarbine
    I believe they have stopped making them. There was some issues with durability because they could not re-enforce them with fiberglass and keep them clear. The original concept was to use the clear lowers as training aids only but it appears that some folks used them for builds. My guess is there were some failures so they stopped selling them. That's my speculation.
    kwg

Feedback Score
    Bought my first one on an impulse during their Christmas sale. Had to do a bit of filing to get the rear of my upper to fit, takedown pins are very tight with uppper installed, and my bolt catch roll pin hole was drilled a little off, so the upper "paddle" of the stop interferes slightly with the dust cover (Stag lefty upper). For $35, I'm not too dissapointed. Will keep it for a spare/extra lower.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast