Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why learn to shoot on the move?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Plus, we have to remember that there are some of us that work in occupations where we cant stop moving in order to take a shot.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    This has been bugging me for quite a while. I know some highly respected instructors (Paul Howe for one) do not spend a lot of time on this skill while other equally respected instructors do. Mr. Howes logic seems good to me.

My biggest questions are:

- Is it needed or not?

- What is the application?

Hope someone here will fill in the blanks for me.

Thanks
    It is 100% needed and should be one of the most practiced skills there is.

The application is to keep from getting shot.

Simply put, it is MUCH easier to hit a target that is standing still than one that is moving.

Vickers talked to some Delta guys coming back from the sandbox and asked them what is the biggest thing they needed to work on and the reply was "SHOOTING ON THE MOVE!"

C4

Feedback Score
    Don't know for sure but I don't think anyone espouses standing still while others take a shot at you.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Okay lots of view points so what about shooting on the move vs moving then shooting and let's take it out of tac-team operations?

Yes you are a harder target when moving but won't you have to slow down to shoot with any accuracy? Doesn't that make you an easier target vs moving our rapidly to another position of cover?

With practice, one can make center mass hits all day long on the move.

Remember that the minute you stand still, you are making it 100% easier for someone to shoot you.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Don't know for sure but I don't think anyone espouses standing still while others take a shot at you.

Nor should they.

C4

Feedback Score
    C4IGrant

Glad you agree...nor did I intend that idea to be projected by my original post.

Feedback Score
    Rhino,

Thanks for the well thought out post. I'd be interested to know how the USPSA techniques hold up under Force-on-Force training...any info?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Rhino,

Thanks for the well thought out post. I'd be interested to know how the USPSA techniques hold up under Force-on-Force training...any info?

Thanks
    Dunno! USPSA shooting also requires (if you want to do well) shooting while moving in addition to learning to get set and shoot quickly upon arriving at a position. It would depend on the situation which you did when.

How well those skills would work in force-on-force or in genuine combat would depend on the respective skill levels (and luck) of the participants. However, I can't imagine how being able to shoot accurately while moving quickly or being able to shoot very quickly as you come to a stop then move again could hurt anything. In force-on-force or real life encounters, one has to remain cognizent of the threat, and can't focus fully on minimizing the time it takes to accomplish a specific task as one can in a shooting competition where no one is trying to harm you. However, if you program yourself with those skills to the best of your physical ability, you'll be able to execute them without deliberate consideration while you are addressing threats.

I'm not sure it's a viable option or valid assessment to randomly select a bunch of USPSA shooters and throw them into scenarios with people with many hours of force-on-force instruction and practice. However, I don't think that anyone who has feet in both worlds will deny the potential benefits.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    USPSA/IPSC/3gun is great for teaching you to shoot on the move and shoot at multiple and moving targets but doesn't teach you to use cover.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Rhino,
    "I'd be interested to know how the USPSA techniques hold up under Force-on-Force training"
    Shooting is shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    USPSA/IPSC/3gun is great for teaching you to shoot on the move and shoot at multiple and moving targets but doesn't teach you to use cover.

Neither does most "tactical" training....

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast