Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Gear: Camo or No Camo?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Question Tactical Gear: Camo or No Camo?

Should you buy tactical gear in a camo pattern that matches your primary underlying camo pattern? Or

Is it more versatile to chose a neutral solid color (OD, Ranger, Coyote) that can be worn over a variety of underlayers, camo or otherwise?

Does wearing solid color tactical gear over camouflage BDUs eliminate what the camo was intended to do in terms of breaking up shapes?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First, what is the purpose of your question? Are you wondering from a military or LE point of view?
    I'll say this:
    The Army seems to like everything in ACU which doesn't matter because it doesn't really blend with anything- it only helps uniformity overall.
    In an urban environment I don't think it really matters all that much.
    If you have all Multi-Cam from top to bottom that might help in multiple terrain backgrounds when camo/concealment are "important" to say the least.

You can always paint your nylon to somewhat resemble your camies.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The need would be minuteman and a mix between urban/rural.

Actually I have three types of Camo: Woodland, Digital Woodland and multicam. I like the first and the third best and have more of these than the digital which I'm considering ditching altogether.

I use the multicam quite a bit while bowhunting, and it's done well in the Ohio Valley as well as Canada/Maine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly unless you are conducting surveillance it doesn't matter, just stay with earth-tones or Multi-cam if you have the money and ability to wait for stuff in that color.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Honestly unless you are conducting surveillance it doesn't matter, just stay with earth-tones or Multi-cam if you have the money and ability to wait for stuff in that color.
    So you don't see any reason not to go with camo/multi-cam outside of cost? but that ultimately any difference is negligible?

Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it will matter, unless you have to worry about looking like your buddies. By that I mean, if a tactical team wants everyone wearing X color uniforms, and X color gear so you can quickly ID each other. If that isn't a concern buy what you prefer for your surroundings. I suspect it's not or you wouldn't be asking the question.

I decided last year that any gear I buy will either be Multicam or brown (there's dirt everywhere and it works great for animals). If I recall, having camo clothing/gear is more about breaking up your outline and making it less obvious there is a person there, than about actually making you "disappear." If you want to disappear, then you need 3D camo (i.e. something like a ghillie suit) IMO.

And I agree with Dave. ACU only blends in with anything else that is covered in ACU. I can't stand it. Not that my old service did much better with digital tiger stripes...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If I recall, having camo clothing/gear is more about breaking up your outline and making it less obvious there is a person there, than about actually making you "disappear."
    No you're absolutely right about breaking up the silhouette, the question that occurs to me is whether a solid color LBE actually creates a silhouette wearing camoflage if that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    No you're absolutely right about breaking up the silhouette, the question that occurs to me is whether a solid color LBE actually creates a silhouette wearing camoflage if that makes sense.
    I think large patches of solid colors would stand out more than smaller sections. For example, when I was on active duty it could be hard to spot guys that were wearing normal BDUs and issue LCE. When guys started trying out vests, they became a bit easier to spot.

My recommendation; get a solid base layer and then add pouches in whichever color/pattern you feel is most appropriate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was watching a .mil sniper school on the Military Channel and one of the senior instructors said a patch of black in a woodland environment is a dead giveaway. He was able to use binoc's to pick out a fully camouflaged, sniper-trainee in full stalk mode because he left a 1" by 1" square of black showing on his mono-pod setup. Based on this, my woodland camo gear will be anything but black. IMHO, in a neighborhood / urban setting I don't believe I want to stand out. Based upon what I've read, the more I look like the "average joe", the less attention I will get. What do y'all think?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czydj View Post
    I was watching a .mil sniper school on the Military Channel and one of the senior instructors said a patch of black in a woodland environment is a dead giveaway. He was able to use binoc's to pick out a fully camouflaged, sniper-trainee in full stalk mode because he left a 1" by 1" square of black showing on his mono-pod setup. Based on this, my woodland camo gear will be anything but black. IMHO, in a neighborhood / urban setting I don't believe I want to stand out. Based upon what I've read, the more I look like the "average joe", the less attention I will get. What do y'all think?

I would think that in an urban/neighborhood setting with a rifle in hand, the color/camo pattern of any gear you are wearing won't matter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast