Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of the hand cannons. Which to get?

Feedback Score

Battle of the hand cannons. Which to get?

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a big bore revolver. That means either the .460 S&W or the 500 S&W. At this point, I'm leaning toward the .460 due to the ability to shoot .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt and the fact that .460 itself seems a little bit cheaper to buy than the .500 ammunition. The purpose of this would basically be for fun. For something different to shoot at the range. It would also be used for protection on hikes and camping trips. But mostly for the "it's loud, powerful, and it's mine" factor. I want to get either the 5" .460 or the 6.5" .500. I don't want a long barrel.

Can any owners of them here speak up and explain your reasoning for getting whichever one you bought? For me, the .460 is getting the edge for being versatile while maintaining huge muzzle energy and velocity but the .500 still speaks to me for raw sledgehammer factor. Help me make up my mind.

ETA: recoil isn't an issue. I've spent a few afternoons shooting a titanium air weight .44 magnum
    Last edited by Vintovka; 02-02-14 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    I say 600 nitro express.

On a serious note, I shot a .500 s&w once (5 rounds) and It actually wasn't too bad considering. It kicked like a mule but wasn't like rip your hands off bad. It had the long barrel with the compensator. I don't own it so I don't know what the ammo cost but I know it isn't cheap.

But I do agree with you on the versatility of the .460 with being able to shoot three different kinds of ammo. That would he my choice if I had to pick.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Have you seen that little Alaskan survival one they have, its a 500 s&w with a hals pelican case, bear spray, etc?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Have you seen that little Alaskan survival one they have, its a 500 s&w with a hals pelican case, bear spray, etc?
    I have. I'm not sure just how much oomph is still left in the cartridge once you factor in just how much powder is wasted. Although I've never been one to say that obnoxious muzzle blast at the expense of ballistics is a bad thing for range toys! I wonder how fast they're coming out of that 2" barrel?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintovka View Post

Can any owners of them here speak up and explain your reasoning for getting whichever one you bought? For me, the .460 is getting the edge for being versatile while maintaining huge muzzle energy and velocity but the .500 still speaks to me for raw sledgehammer factor. Help me make up my mind.
    I think you are on the right track here. I'm not an owner of either, but have spent some time with both. I like the .460 a little better due to the versatility especially during ammo crunches.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I’d have to go with the .460 for the reasons you mentioned.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I currently own the S&W 500 with the 4" barrel, I shoot 300 grain Hornady Flex tip (I think). Here are my thoughts in no particular order, I bought the gun also just like you are wanting it for, the SMILE factor.

Heavy Pistol
    Recoil with a light load is not horrible,
    Muzzle flip, It will sure come up and hit you if you don't have a good firm grasp for how its gonna do it.
    Expensive to shoot I'm reloading and its still about $3 a cartridge, but I like reloading and do it for fun.
    Nice little bear gun if you ever need it.
    Puts a smile on my face every time it goes boom.
    Wouldn't ever shoot the thing 1 handed, I've shot .44 Magnum in the Short frames 1 handed and its not so horrible.

I feel like the recoil on the 500 versus the .44 mag, the .44 mag has a more sharper hit then the 500, the 500 I can shoot 8 to 9 cylinders worth and it's not to bad, now the .44 mag, the sharpness in the recoil makes it worse, muzzle flip is what you would expect for both guns.

For the .460 XVR I have not shot yet, but will eventually get it also, as soon as the 4 inch barrel one actually shows up. I don't shoot the 500 very often, but probably once a quarter and usually put about 100 rounds through the pipe.

Also, just remember shooting big bore pistols like this very often puts lots of stress on the body, not an everyday shooter but a very much fun shooter.

Its a hell of a revolver, and every time I fondle the things, Its like DAMN, She's a freaking Beaut! I say get the .460 for the versatility, but then save the coin and get the 500, you won't go wrong!

The 460 if I can find one, is my next pistol purchase!!!!!!!!! Gotta love the big bore pistols.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Serious question, and not a flame, but other than the pure enjoyment of firing a ridiculously large powerful handgun, what are you getting from these guns that cannot be better delivered by a long slide Glock 20 using 15rds of hot 10mm?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Again, just the PURE factor of the enjoyment of shooting the most powerful handgun in the world. I'm pretty sure a hot 10mm isn't going to take down a 500# bear. Yes you can shoot a 10 mm auto, but it's just more fun to shoot the 500.

In this case Bigger IS better!!!!!!!!! When you fire the shot, either your gonna hit the dang thing or the noise of that big arse cartridge will scare the heck out of anything!!!

Again as the OP said, it's more for pure enjoyment!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Serious question, and not a flame, but other than the pure enjoyment of firing a ridiculously large powerful handgun, what are you getting from these guns that cannot be better delivered by a long slide Glock 20 using 15rds of hot 10mm?

I don't want a Glock 20 with 15 rounds of hot 10mm. I already have plenty of "practical" semi auto pistols. Now I want a big bore revolver for the smile factor as another gentleman has called it. Variety is the spice of life.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast