Thread: Geissele vs. Noveske

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Geissele vs. Noveske

I want to do a build using either the Geissele Mk5 or the Noveske NSR. Which has the better handguard-to-receiver attachment system?

By better, I mean structurally: stronger & more secure.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I want to do a build using either the Geissele Mk5 or the Noveske NSR. Which has the better handguard-to-receiver attachment system?

By better, I mean structurally: stronger & more secure.
    I don't know with cold hard facts, but regarding the handguard-to-receiver attachment, I think it's hard to be stronger than 6 bolts directly into the barrel nut in the NSR.

However, the NSR doesn't have anti-rotation if that matters to you unless you get a Noveske upper or Rainier ultramatch upper.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    While this is true I had my upper machined for a pin fairly fast and cheaply. Not saying it is the end all but it is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    I don't know with cold hard facts, but regarding the handguard-to-receiver attachment, I think it's hard to be stronger than 6 bolts directly into the barrel nut in the NSR.

However, the NSR doesn't have anti-rotation if that matters to you unless you get a Noveske upper or Rainier ultramatch upper.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think that's going to be pretty close. I'm not sure which bRrel nut is longer, but I'd guess that to play a part in strength. I think both are going to be very durable. I'm not sure exactly how the NSR attaches, but I'd think the cross bolt of the Geissele would be hard to best as it will likely be very resistant to any sheering type of force/torque.

I was very impressed with the feel of both. The Geissele looks big in pics, but in person it felt great in hand. The Noveske panels feel really good as well.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 02-04-14 at 12:49.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Were the anti-rotation tabs removed on the Mk5?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am putting together my 13.5 nsr on my bcm upper right now. In mock-up the nsr feels great! It feels rock solid. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Geissele makes top notch stuff.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I can pretty much guarantee that any of the Geissele rails are themselves more durable than the NSR though, just due to sheer amounts of material and construction. The NSR is very thin aluminum. It's not flimsy, but it's not a bullet proof design... it was intended for 3gun after all.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Were the anti-rotation tabs removed on the Mk5?
    The rail has small "wings" on either side which overlap the upper receiver. On the "wings" there are two nylon tipped set screws which tighten to either side of the upper receiver. Once I tightened down my MK2 onto the barrel nut, it didn't seem like it was going anywhere even before I tightened the anti-rotation screws though.

Edit to add: I won't post while on forced doubles anymore, since the above made no sense, but the pictures of their keymod rails I found online seem to show the current small wing/set screw set up I described.
    Last edited by TF82; 02-04-14 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Consider that the Geissele rail first started out as a request made for a HK416 handguard from very special unit with some pretty tough demands I would probably say the Geissele rail is pretty bombproof.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They're both very similar IMHO. They both use a similar barrel nut. The Noveske rail is held in place by six (IIRC) bolts that screw directly into the nut. The Geissele rail uses two cross bolts that clamp the rail onto the barrel nut -- very similar to how the standard 416 rail mounts.

In either case, neither rail will fall off if you install them properly. My gut tells me the Geissele interface is more robust but the difference is a matter of what degree of never failing you want.
    Last edited by CharlieMike; 02-04-14 at 11:16.
    Disclosure: I'm a dealer/owner of an online firearms accessories store.