Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCM's new fluted EWL profile barrels (tapered) -- questions/thoughts

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm talking about fluted barrels in general, not the EWL in particular. The block versus sheet example is more extreme to help you visualize the difference. How much benefit the shooter will see from fluting depends on the barrel profile and the fluting used.
    Oh, OK, I'll make sure to have the OP update the title of this thread to 'general fluted barrel discussion.'

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I gave you the facts. It's now up to you to weigh the benefits of fluting (better heat radiation, stiffens barrel) against the cons (more machining required, larger diameter for same weight) to determine if it's the right choice for you. It's your money, it's your rifle
    The facts: fluting benefits in order of importance and noticeable benefit: increased surface area and barrel cooling, increased stiffness, ... , ... , decreased weight.

Got it. Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Oh, OK, I'll make sure to have the OP update the title of this thread to 'general fluted barrel discussion.'

The facts: fluting benefits in order of importance and noticeable benefit: increased surface area and barrel cooling, increased stiffness, ... , ... , decreased weight.

Got it. Thanks
    You need to work on your scathing reparte. It's very weak
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-11-14 at 18:32.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Would this be BCM's 'answer' to DD's S2W barrel profile?
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Would this be BCM's 'answer' to DD's S2W barrel profile?
    No, since the S2W starts at full diameter and gently tapers to just below a medium contour at the muzzle. The BCM's start at a medium contour (or thereabouts) immediately after the chamber bulge and slims down to basically a pencil contour at the muzzle....and it also eliminates the raised ridge that captures the handguard retainer cap....just a bump for the gas block journal.

The BCM ELW is going to be MUCH lighter than a S2W of equivalent length. The S2W seems to be accuracy oriented, as well, where BCM's focus is acceptable accuracy with TONS of weight savings. Two different goals...and I like the idea of both.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The S2W seems to be accuracy oriented, as well, where BCM's focus is acceptable accuracy with TONS of weight savings. Two different goals...and I like the idea of both.
    Agreed. Thanks for the reply, BTJ...
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Agreed. Thanks for the reply, BTJ...
    No prob.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    Has BCM said how much lighter the fluted ELW barrel will be than their pencil barrels?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by black22rifle View Post
    Has BCM said how much lighter the fluted ELW barrel will be than their pencil barrels?
    I believe that it's 0.50 Oz. lighter than the ELW, but not sure about the standard LW pencil barrels.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep. Paul said .5 ounces (on 14.5 and 16 I think), but he's gonna weigh them I think. I asked on TOS and here too I think.

Feedback Score
    I think he also stated that that the Non Fluted ELW weighed the same as their pencil barrel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast