Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best tactical gear setup

Feedback Score

yeah

i eyeballed it a long time ago and should have bought it before the blackhawk. i was under the impression that blackhawk made good kit. i think i'm going to try and offload it somewhere and purchase the skd rig. thanks for the feedback.

Feedback Score
    I had the Eagle/SKD rig (http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?Page...PROD&ProdID=36) that you're referring to, and eventually sold it because (1) the two interior mags had limited retention, and (2) the pistol mag flaps were pretty short. I used the rig in a 2 day rifle class, and part of the class required sprinting 15-20 yards and dropping to prone. When i started running, i could feel the two innermost mags flopping. I had to slow a bit, and use my weak hand to hold the mags in place. Also, the front pistol pouches are perfect for Glock 19 mags. However, once you try G17 mags, there is very little velcro purchase to secure the mags in place.

If you mod the rig to secure the innermost mags, and make longer pistol mag lids, this rig is golden. I replaced the Eagle/SKD one with the Eagle FB chest rig here (http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?Page...OD&ProdID=722). The fb one uses kydex to secure all of the mags in place. I've thrown a 3 mag pistol carrier on the left, first aid pouch on the right, and it seems to ride ok. I just need to practice pistol drawing with the med pouch in place.

Feedback Score
    Not to take this off on a tangent but ... how does the Eagle M4 Chest Rig (FB) secure the mags? Are there straps, bungies or flaps? I followed chiz45's link and liked the rig's look. I didn't see mention of it on the website but may have missed it.

I'm kinda new to this tac. things as well and trying to learn some.

Feedback Score
    Mark, each pouch has a kydex liner that is secured in the pouch with velcro. The kydex forms a tight pocket, and squeezes the mags, holding them in place.

The differences that I can see between the two Eagle rigs:

FB: no padded straps, the SKD one has padded straps.
    FB: fastex release on the right side only; SKD one has dual fastex.
    FB: back side appears to be thinner, no mesh.

I haven't tried it out yet, as i just got it Monday. Still working on pouch placement

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Were you satisfied with yours? I like the look of it however the price seems lower than most. I just wonder what the down side is, if there is one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiz45 View Post
    I had the Eagle/SKD rig (http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?Page...PROD&ProdID=36) that you're referring to, and eventually sold it because (1) the two interior mags had limited retention, and (2) the pistol mag flaps were pretty short. I used the rig in a 2 day rifle class, and part of the class required sprinting 15-20 yards and dropping to prone. When i started running, i could feel the two innermost mags flopping. I had to slow a bit, and use my weak hand to hold the mags in place. Also, the front pistol pouches are perfect for Glock 19 mags. However, once you try G17 mags, there is very little velcro purchase to secure the mags in place.

The Eagle rig is my primary rig and I've never had an issue with mags falling out. Question; did you ever put 2 mags in each of the center pockets then go back to a single mag? Also, I never used the pistol mag pouches on the front. I just reload off my belt.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've never had issues with mags falling out and I do use G17 mags but I'm sure the SKD/Eagle rig has its flaws. However, for the money very few can match it's versatility and quality.

I agree it's a little limited but it remains an excellent, basic starter rig. Only the individual can decide if it is sufficient.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I've never had a mag fall out either, but i could definitely feel the mags 'bouncing' in the pouch at a full sprint. It surprised me, and that's why i did what i mentioned in the prior post. I only ran 1 mag per pouch. I tried two per pouch, and they fit snug. I recall holding a loaded mag out of the pouch, dropping it, and it sliding right into the pouch. If you're thinking that the elastic might possibly be stretched out, that's a good question. Perhaps my particular rig had more 'give' than others? That's a possibility. To clarify regarding the pistol mag pouches, i've never had one fall out there either. I just noticed little purchase with taller mags.

I don't wear it for a living, just one 2 day class and occasional range sessions. I thought about sending it out to Eggroll for his bungee mod, but if i was going to pay for that, i might as well spring for the difference and get the ATS rig or the current Eagle rig i have now, with added pistol pouches.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I haven't had any issues with my SKD rig either but I use Pmags and G17 mags. Everything held up well at Pat's 3 day in Feb. no loose mags, etc. I don't double stack AR mags in the vest though.

Feedback Score

.45 mags

so do you guys think i could get away with some single stack .45 mags in the pouches. also, is there enough room to get an eagle shotgun pouch on the right side of the vest and a small medic bag on the left side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast