Thread: some vortex razor gen2 pics

Feedback Score

some vortex razor gen2 pics

I finally got my match and practice rifles reasonably identical. the last piece was the scope, vortex rings and switchview levers which i got from OTM Tactical (highly recommended).

so here's some gratuitous pictures of both scopes with switchviews. one with the sun shade and the other without. one in vortex/seekins rings and the other in spuhr. (The latter is ever so slightly higher to match the NV). you can also see the one in the back has the turret unlocked (the raised position) and the cheap scope caps that come with it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How are they overall?

I have a Nightforce NXS 3-15 with mildot reticle and MOA turrets. I've been thinking about selling it because I really want MIL turrets and was thinking about the Razor.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    i'd definitely buy it again. I think it's a bargain and the current prices. overall, I'd say it's an excellent scope. I sold two S&B 5-25x MSR to buy these two razor gen2. I think it was a good move so far.

Here's my box test target:
    I shot the bottom dot labeled 0 eight times, dialing up 1 mil after each shot. Then I dialed back to zero and shot the black dot on the bottom right 5 times (in order ABCDE), adding 4 mil left, then 4 mil up then, 4 mil right, then 4 mil down (which put me back at zero on the knobs. The cows were icing me on the 2mil dot. I think the box may be some sloppy shooting on my part, but it does seem to be leaning a bit left.

this was the initial review i wrote on another site after after the first 42 rounds. read posts 1, 8 and 25 in that thread to see some of the tests I did and some groups at 100 and 500-600.
    http://forum.snipershide.com/s4-snip...-tbac-5-a.html

I now have 296 rounds on one and maybe 40 on the other. my thoughts haven't changed from my review in that link except the zeroing is driving me a little nuts. it's harder than i expected to adjust to get it EXACTLY where you want it, even when you're shooting .25" 3 or 4-shot groups. and I am annoyed by the reticle. I used to shoot fine with the 1/2 mil hashes on the P4Fine reticle, but the MSR spoiled me with additional hold points. Now going back to a reticle with 1/2 mil hashes is making me eyeball and estimate my holds again, which as you can see from the targets below, isn't hard to do, but it still feels like a step backwards.

fwiw, the knobs have NOT loosened up yet. still tight.
    highly recommend the cat tail/switchview whatever.

tonight, with absolutely no wind, i shot these two targets from 600 w/first attempt hits on each. 4" circle and 7" triangle. I also shot a 3" triangle from 520 yards on the first shot, but i don't have a picture of it because as i watched the impact, i saw it swing back and up and then keep going up out of the field of view of my scope. then a second or two later, i saw it come down on the other side of the berm. i searched a while for it and never found it. heh oh well. that's what i get for not using washers on the nut.

and these from past 1000, although i missed a lot before i got on the target, and POI is still nowhere close to POA. (still trying to sort my dope out on new rifle.) i'm posting these pictures to say I could obviously see the targets well enough to hold very precisely, but i could not see my impacts on any of the targets, where I could previously with all 3 of my old Schmidt & Benders. So, the vortex gen2 glass is dang nice, but the extra $1300 difference in it and the S&B will buy you a little more resolution.

Feedback Score
    My Nightforce was Mildot reticle,MOA turrets.I sent it back and had them change the turrets to MILS with the zero stop.It was about $400 though.Still cheaper then a new scope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by winmag45 View Post
    My Nightforce was Mildot reticle,MOA turrets.I sent it back and had them change the turrets to MILS with the zero stop.It was about $400 though.Still cheaper then a new scope.
    Really? I'll have to look into that. Thank you.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Vortex seems to be all the craze at the moment. How would you compare the glass to NightForce F1 Scopes? Worse, Same, Better??

Feedback Score
    These scopes have me wanting to build a heavy caliber brother to my Cresent Custom's .308 (which runs the original 5-20 Razor HD). Alas, not having a place to stretch it out makes it hard to drop the coin.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beb0541 View Post
    Vortex seems to be all the craze at the moment. How would you compare the glass to NightForce F1 Scopes? Worse, Same, Better??
    i don't have significant personal experience with the F1.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That is some mighty impressive gear!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights