Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget .308?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Budget .308?

id like to add a 308 to my collectiopn but funds are tight so i need to do it on a budget, whats my best bet? it will be mainly a fun target gun

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Why not give us your budget and future plans first?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What kind of shooting do you want to do? And to what distances would you like to reach? What ammo do you plan to shoot?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mainly range shooting or some longer distance plinking. Like 300 yards and less. Ill just be using standard ammo

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    And future plans?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyeboy View Post
    Mainly range shooting or some longer distance plinking. Like 300 yards and less. Ill just be using standard ammo
    By standard ammo do you mean Ball/Full metal Jacket, or Federal GMM? I'm not trying to bait you.... it's just that "standard" ammo to me is a 175 SMK with 43.8 gr Varget and a Fed Match primer in a Lapua case.... that's standard.

300 yards and in will mean you don't need a super duper optic with repeatable tracking on the adjustments. You could get a Fixed power Super Sniper and just use the reticle. You're likely under 2 mils of come up for all of your shooting.

A bone stock Rem 700 SPS tactical would likely fill all your needs. And you can upgrade later. You could get a Savage, but that's not a really ideal gun for long haul, upgradeable, rugged use. You're pretty much just buying an acceptable barrel.

One of those Ruger Scouts would be adequate inside of 300 yards, but with a SPS Tactical, you can always gear up to 1000 yards if you get hooked.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Hi - I would like to make a suggestion and also ask a question (not to thread crap on you)

I would consider this for your use - http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...TROPHYHUNTERXP usually paired with a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope and I think that in an inexpensive way to meet your need. I also agree that the Rem 700 SPS Tactical is a great option leaving room to grow. I chose the Savage after researching and now want to add the SPS to collection as well.

Question for the Markm here - Can you help me understand the "savage not a really ideal gun for the long haul" statement? I am new to this and would like to know a little more info on it. From the research that I did it seemed to be a fine capable weapon that a lot of people gave great reviews to. just curious here and since it fits the OP question as well might help them as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brvheart View Post
    Question for the Markm here - Can you help me understand the "savage not a really ideal gun for the long haul" statement? I am new to this and would like to know a little more info on it. From the research that I did it seemed to be a fine capable weapon that a lot of people gave great reviews to. just curious here and since it fits the OP question as well might help them as well.
    This is relative to what the shooter wants... but for me... I put about 2500 rounds through my SPS in the last 2 plus years. It gets a LOT of handling, use, bumps, bangs, etc. The savage components are just not as robust as the old Rem 700s. Now if someone is looking for a gun that will get a much lighter firing schedule and live a more gentle gun life, the Savage might be ideal.

Savage makes accurate shooters, but if you want a beater that you might end up upgrading a year or years down the road, the Remington is a more solid platform. And the Aftermarket selection is much larger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is relative to what the shooter wants... but for me... I put about 2500 rounds through my SPS in the last 2 plus years. It gets a LOT of handling, use, bumps, bangs, etc. The savage components are just not as robust as the old Rem 700s. Now if someone is looking for a gun that will get a much lighter firing schedule and live a more gentle gun life, the Savage might be ideal.

Savage makes accurate shooters, but if you want a beater that you might end up upgrading a year or years down the road, the Remington is a more solid platform. And the Aftermarket selection is much larger.
    So you are not saying that the Savage is a bad choice - upgrades and tweaking are more plentiful for the Rem 700 line and they are built to be rugged and put through the paces if I am reading that right. Again sorry I am new to all this and am learning from the plethora of resources I read here.

I have heard of barrel burnouts - how many rounds would both the Savage 111 and Rem 700 expect to see?

I have the dilemma of adding another .308 or going for the 300 WinMag and keeping the Savage. I have been really happy with my Savage - but granted I am new to this and am just starting out - it got my feet wet and now I a extremely addicted and I am looking for more and more and more to add in...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Savage ins't a bad choice for the right customer. orkan, here, has had the action seize up in extreme cold weather on a hunt.... we pick on the Savage here a bit, but it can be a fit for someone who doesn't really run their gear hard.

Barrel burnout is generally about 5k for 308 from what I've heard from everyone. And it's not brand specific.... that's plus or minus depending on rate of fire, ammo, etc. I've yet to burn out a bolt gun barrel.

We shoot a lot of 300 WM. It's a fun round to shoot long range with. .308 is fun too. But 300 shaves of a good bit of come up. 8 mils verses 13 mils at 1050 yards for us, for example.

I can't tell you what to do as far as your rifles. Really depends on your shooting preferences.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast