Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget .308?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The 5R .308 that Pappabear runs has the 20" barrel. Shoots just as good as the HF SPS barrel... but the 5Rs seem to foul a touch less.... They almost have a lapped feel to them when cleaning.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The 5R .308 that Pappabear runs has the 20" barrel. Shoots just as good as the HF SPS barrel... but the 5Rs seem to foul a touch less.... They almost have a lapped feel to them when cleaning.
    So you don't really notice any demonstrable benefits to the 5R barrel? As far as accuracy etc.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No. A much broader study would have to be done for that. I mean... if the 5R shot half the group size, I'd still not say the rifling was the reason.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    So twice the money for a 5R really gets you.......

Feedback Score
    Markm I don't want to derail OP but do you think the 308 sps rem 700 is a good whitetail and black bear rifle within 500 yds? Between this and the normal rem 700 bdl but would prefer the sps for the sporting application as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Anyone have any experience with the 700 SPS tactical AAC?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner505 View Post

I'm actually waiting for my local shop to get a couple of these in. Gonna pick one up!
    -BTO-

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So twice the money for a 5R really gets you.......
    A serviceable stock and a threaded barrel. The trigger has to go on either gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz22 View Post
    Markm I don't want to derail OP but do you think the 308 sps rem 700 is a good whitetail and black bear rifle within 500 yds? Between this and the normal rem 700 bdl but would prefer the sps for the sporting application as well. Thanks!
    I don't hunt... but yeah... you could certainly develop an Accubond load. 500 is well within the range of the gun.

Same gun with a threaded barrel... Still have the rubber stock and the bad trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A serviceable stock and a threaded barrel. The trigger has to go on either gun.

I don't hunt... but yeah... you could certainly develop an Accubond load. 500 is well within the range of the gun.

Same gun with a threaded barrel... Still have the rubber stock and the bad trigger.
    So if you were asked to make a recommendation, of the 3, 700 SPS tactical, 700 SPS AAC or 5R, you would say?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So if you were asked to make a recommendation, of the 3, 700 SPS tactical, 700 SPS AAC or 5R, you would say?
    Depends on availability near you, and if you can score one of the models at a price that tips the balance in its favor. I really just picked my SPS up at Cabelas because it was on sale at the time.

Also... do you have a guy who can thread a barrel for a good price? It might be worth it to pony up for a factory threaded barrel if you'd have to wait on a long riflesmith lead time.

If you know you're going to do a chasis or some stock not already on one of the models, buy an SPS variant. My buddy bought one and put it in a nice chasis. His SPS stacked holes too with 175 SMKs.

If you want to get started cheap, one of the SPS guns will work. I shot mine with the trigger and rubber stock for a while. Then upgraded a little a a time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast