Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget .308?

Feedback Score
    I have the opportunity to pick up a remmy 700p in 308 for a bargain with vortex optics. Would I be going wrong by passing this up?
    -BTO-

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hard to say. Buying any used gun is a gamble. Pappabear bought a used Rem 700 that had to be rebarreled... not the end of the world, but a wash on the discount of buying it used.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Nah. The 700p I'm looking at is brand new. Seems like a good deal to me but just wanted an expert opinion
    -BTO-

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The thing about the SPS barrels is that they're Hammer forged. In my partially educated mind.... that eliminates more of the risk of bore diameter problems that you see with button rifled barrels.

I could be competely off on that assumtion however. I've just seen some bad examples of button rifled messes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Mark. I read that remington had a problem with the holes in the receiver for the scope mount not lining up and needing a ton of windage to zero. Is that still the case, in your experience, or did they fix that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    None of the guns we've (and I say "we" meaning Pappabear and I) run have had any issues. I've heard this too though. Not sure if it is or was an issue recently. I think finding a perfectly drilled receiver is the exeption.... I think that's a comment I heard at the Riflesmith's shop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    None of the guns we've (and I say "we" meaning Pappabear and I) run have had any issues. I've heard this too though. Not sure if it is or was an issue recently. I think finding a perfectly drilled receiver is the exeption.... I think that's a comment I heard at the Riflesmith's shop.
    If I recall, the review said they needed 20 minutes of windage to zero. He may have had other things working against him, like a bad scope rail or something.

The extra $60 for the AAC to get a threaded barrel seems like an easy call.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner505 View Post
    The extra $60 for the AAC to get a threaded barrel seems like an easy call.
    Yeah... if that's how small the price diff is.... well worth it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah... if that's how small the price diff is.... well worth it.
    That's what it is at Buds online. $50 something difference.

That 1/10 barrel opens up bullet options a little but as this would be the foundation of precision rifle I'd probably limit myself to 175 grain. Those Bergers have a nice BC....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    1/12 at my altitude stabilizes every bullet that there is load data for in .308.

I had to go into a 220 gr bullet to start to see unstable bullets. And those were at subsonic velocities. When I bumped them to full power, they stabilized.

I'd take a 1/10 too, but 1/12 is not at all a problem for shooting all realistic bullet lengths.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast