Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ODIN Works Kmod handguard and Kpod Review

Feedback Score

ODIN Works Kmod handguard and Kpod Review

While cruising around the internet recently I stumbled upon the site of a place called ODIN works. After checking out their site a bit it was obvious they made things that were right up my alley…AR parts. They don’t appear to be a huge company and do all their own machining in house in their Idaho shop. They offered a few barrels, gas blocks, and what caught my attention: some keymod forends.

You can find the write up here: http://almosttactical.com/odin-works...i-pod-adapter/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Where is the review? Did this get posted just to get people to your website? If it is worth talking about, why not post something about it here, at least enough to get people talking....
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

My barrel is a 16 inch so I went with the 12.5″ variety. The Kmod comes in its own box that contains it, the proprietary barrel nut, the mounting screws and a single 2 inch rail segment. The Barrel nut is a 2 piece design where one piece goes over the threads on the receiver and is lined up with an alignment rod that slides through the hole for the gas tube. This piece also serves as the piece that actually attaches the handguard to the rifle.

The second piece is what actually holds your barrel to the receiver after it threads into the first piece. ODIN recommends a torque value of 30 to 50 ft-lbs.

At first I was worried about the 2 piece design not holding tight or being too much but with the alignment too it made it very easy to get the gas tube properly aligned. I had no issues with the barrel nut after vibra-tite was applied (supplied with Kmod) and proper torque values were applied. It also aided in making sure the handguard was straight.
    The Kmod easily slid over the low profile gas block and installs with 6 set screws, 2 each at 3, 6 and 9 O’clock. It has very large anti-rotation tabs that go nearly all the way to the ear that the dust cover fits into.

The attention to detail was obviously there as it has been one of the only keymod handguards that is made so that every keymod slot serves as a QD cup for a sling swivel. Midwest Industries, Fortis and several others all opt for a QD cup at the far end for mounting of a sling. To me the method used on the Kmod is favorable so that I can run a light in front of my sling and not worry about having to add a separate QD attachment. They are also all anti rotation.

The Kmod is not overly skinny but is still small enough for me to shoot in the the thumb over bore or C-grip method taught by most instructors these days. It also helped aide the Kmod in never heating up, even when dumping mags suppressed. This is an advantage to me over having a tiny handguard that needs heat shields added. It has a 1.6″ inner diameter so a suppressor fits nicely inside it.

Overall I was very impressed with the ODIN Kmod, if I were going to change anything about it the only thing I would do would be to replace the venting with keymod slots to give you four more areas around the handguard, if not the entire length then at least the last three spots out towards the end to give WML mounting options at the 11 and 1 O’clock positions. The diameter of the handguard is perfect for me and the weight came out to 9.9 ounces for me without the rail piece and 10.7 with it.

The other item I received was the Kpod Bi-pod adapter. It attaches via the keymod system and is a very low profile way to mount your Harris or Harris style bi-pod. I rarely shoot from a bi-pod but this rifle is intended to not only be ran in classes but also take out in the field and shoot the occasional coyote so it is a nice touch. It is right at half the size of the typical bi-pod mount and only weighs .8 ounces.
    Last edited by DMViergever; 02-11-14 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Exact same post on TOS...shill trolls be shilling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What's wrong with reviewing a product and putting it out for multiple forums to see? I do this as well, we don't get paid for any part of it, it's fun for both of us and we try to pass on good info to everybody
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I see nothing wrong with the review that is posted now....I do agree with Stick that if you're going to post something on M4C, than post the whole thing. M4C isn't to promote youtube channels, or other websites.

Nice job on the review, and pics DMViergever.

Feedback Score
    LOL... Somebody takes time to do a review and some people have a problem with it.

Some of you need to relax and take a break from forum running.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Exact same post on TOS...shill trolls be shilling
    Are you saying I should write a seperate review for each forum I belong to? That isn't going to happen. It is a review, nothing more than an objective view of the product. Me posting them is no different than what any other reviewer/blogger does.

To Trident and Obscenejesster, thanks for the kind words and I am glad you enjoyed it. From hete on out I will post the entire review for you guys.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    DMViergever,

You did not mention how much you paid for the rail and the bi-pod mount, nor did you mention the terms under which you "received" it. I believe that this is pertinent information for a review, so that the readers know where you are coming from, rather than guessing. This most likely has a lot to do with the flak you have caught on this review. Most of the folks here can sense quite well when there hasn't been full disclosure. I'm not saying that that has been the case here, but we don't know unless you tell us.

On the other hand, you have some nice pictures here and you make some good observations, pointing out the various attributes of the rail. I enjoy seeing and reading about new products, so, thank you for doing a review of this product. It looks quite interesting, similar to Seekins/Rainier. Was the weight with the barrel nut system or without? How long is the bi-pod adapter, does it interface with 2 or 3 keymod slots?
    Last edited by Nater; 02-12-14 at 06:02.
    In Memomoria Mei Fratris.

Feedback Score
    I understand the flak I got and feel I have explained myself well enough. I will not disclose what I pay for an object for simple resaons. If I buy something for 400 bucks and love it, I am told I love it because I paid 400 bucks for it. If it was free, I love it because it was free.

What you guys NEED to know is that I am brutally honest, run equipment hard and spend a ton of money in parts, ammo and enough time running this equipment, taking and editing photos and doing these write ups, that I make no money on, that my wife is generally pissed of at me haha. To not give you guys an honest review would be a waste of my time and money and would also be a waste of your time.

As I said in the review, 9.9 ounces without rail segment, 10.7 with it. That includes everything, barrel nut, 6 mounting screws the whole shebangbang.

Also stated above the ID is 1.6 inches.

I DO NOT get paid for my reviews.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast