Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not more FSB cut out rails?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Why not more FSB cut out rails?

In terms of durability a FSB is unbeatable. As far as rail-flex shifting point-of-aim a FSB cutout rail is the best set up. Why don't we see more FSB cutout rails?

I would like to see a free float 15" mid-length FSB cutout rail in keymod or m-lok. Both a two piece version for use with a standard barrel nut like the Centurion C4 and a one piece version with a bomb proof barrel nut lock up.

The Troy Delta Battle Rail Mid sort of fits the bill but the mounting method leaves a lot to be desired.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_Del...lt-mxbt-00.htm

Anybody else or is this too old school? Even markm is running rail mounted sight

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    From what I've learned I don't think there's enough of a benefit to bother. Also with the FSB you loose sight radius vs mounting on the end of the hand guard.
    M&P 9 & 9c, AR-15

Feedback Score
    Because most folks don't seem to want to look at the back side of their front sight through their optic, I would guess.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    From what I've learned I don't think there's enough of a benefit to bother. Also with the FSB you loose sight radius vs mounting on the end of the hand guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Because most folks don't seem to want to look at the back side of their front sight through their optic, I would guess.
    Both of those really more address the question of fixed front sight post or no. There are almost as many people out there that like the FSP more than folding setups, and a lot of those are more diehard. mark's recent thread comes to mind. As for the actual question, I was wondering this myself recently. DD and Centurion are the only two that I'd consider but I don't see Centurion's real on their site anymore. I'd be all about a KMR cutout.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ain't no front sight like a forged one pinned to your barrel. It's just not the flavor of the day, plus some people mind the view with optics.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Make your own.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If the current offerings put ~2" of rail in front of the FSP, how much rail would be added with a 15" rail? My guess is ~4-5". What are you going to mount there that you need all that rail? You could put a surefire X300 there but then you either put it against the FSP and don't use the extra rail or you mount it out further, create an awkward gap and have to reach further for the switch. Unless you can scratch your knees while standing up straight, this last part would most likely be an issue.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    The only problem that I have with the front sight block is how hot it gets, and how it's located right where I want to grab the rifle on FSP rails.
    If it was properly blocked from contact, I would be happier.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There are almost as many people out there that like the FSP more than folding setups, and a lot of those are more diehard.
    I think the most probable answer is the growth in popularity of DIY Ar15s, most folks can handle wrenches and pins and screws, but I don't think many are set up with drill presses. It took me quite some time to find a local gun smith that actually could do it, most in my area did not offer the service.

Conversely, those that buy a pre-built AR with the FSB are less likely to add a quad rail, and of those that do I don't think many will opt for the more difficult install vs a drop it quad replacement.

Rail makers sell what people are buying.
    M&P 9 & 9c, AR-15

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd love a FSB cut-out KMR rail. It would be awesome on a 6920. I just don't see them selling that many. Currently, I have an Omega X 12.0 and don't care for the profile compared to a RIS II, but can't bring myself to swap for a RIS II.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast