Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 16" 308 AR: larue obr or a ga precision gap 10?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Interesting thread, like most M4C threads are.
    I apologize if this is a hijack, but I ask because it might be relevant.
    Seeing as the GAP-10 is based on the AR-10, I am curious to how Armalite's AR-10 stacks up with the GAP-10, and I suppose the Larue.
    I know Armalite AR-10's come in various configurations, but relevant to this thread, I'd be talking about their S.A.S.S. versions. They are pricey, but is the price justifiable?
    We don't have to get into the mag issue, as the new AR-10A's are supposed to take PMags.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The GAP 10 really isn't AR10 based I don't believe. I believe POF does their receiver sets, di gas system, and excellent Bartlein barrels. They use DPMS/KAC/Magpul magazines.

I don't know KACs barrel making process, but my experience with Bartlein has been excellent. I've known lots of GAP bolt-actions that last well over 10k rounds. I'm sure they also make great barrels for semi-autos. I eon an OBR with a LW barrel, when and if I shoot it out I will replace it with a Bartlein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    I know Armalite AR-10's come in various configurations, but relevant to this thread, I'd be talking about their S.A.S.S. versions. They are pricey, but is the price justifiable?
    I'd argue no - seems more logical if you're into something that eats PMag LR20's (DPMS LR-308 platform), might as well get the Aero Precision Receiver set, find DPMS LPK/BCG to go with it, and run a smarter handguard than the one Armalite specs (DD Lite 7.62, or MI SS-KM LR308). This leaves enough budget you're looking at high end barrels (Lilja, Bartlein, CLE, or others) an a lighter and smarter setup
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Seems many people rave about their PredatOBR and GAP-10 rifles. In addition to their accuracy, are they also extremely reliable?

I'm wondering what drawbacks there are... and if none... why aren't they used in the military?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post
    Seems many people rave about their PredatOBR and GAP-10 rifles. In addition to their accuracy, are they also extremely reliable?

I'm wondering what drawbacks there are... and if none... why aren't they used in the military?
    the obr is in service. I don't see how it would be any less reliable than the predatobr.

the predatobr was used as the test gun for that fast magnifying iris like scope developed by sandia.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Rw5R3WfGGTcSbw

the predatobr was released much later than the obr, so I would guess that's the reason it is not employed by any military entity.
    Last edited by trinydex; 03-07-15 at 02:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    the obr is in service. I don't see how it would be any less reliable than the predatobr.

the predatobr was used as the test gun for that fast focusing iris like scope.

the predatobr was released much later than the obr, so I would guess that's the reason it is not employed by any military entity.

Thanks for the info! Any idea if anybody's employing the GAP-10? On paper and from what I've read, it seems to give incredible performance.
    Maybe I'm just weird, but I generally only buy military rifles which has me leaning towards something like a KAC SR25, HK MR762, or the FN Scar MK20.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    I am trying to make a decision on which company to patronize.

the rifle has to cover all bases for me. mainly it will be used as a learning tool. it needs to be a platform capable of doing all the things that I want to do with it, learn all the things I want to learn. I am set on a semi auto precision style rifle. so that is not negotiable.

I need to learn how to shoot at various distances and elevations, but nothing beyond 600. if I were to venture into that territory, then I would get a more dedicated rifle for such distances (as well as find a range capable of such distances). likely a bolt gun in a caliber with a lot more juice behind it.

I also need this rifle to be capable of doing some marginal things outside of pure precision shooting. things that don't happen very often when using a precision 308, but might happen over the life the firearm when training opportunities arise: clearing rooms, shooting offhand at close range, shooting from various shooting positions, penetrating barriers, hunting. there are some really marginal capabilities that I would consider in each firearm, but these would not make or break the decision either way: mounting a suppressor, testing various night optic devices, mounting filming equipment to the rifle. some of these reasons forego the application of 5.56.

because of these reasons, I posted these sort of requirements on this firearm and asked for assistance in choosing a company to patronize.

I expect this firearm to be a heirloom. it will have a very long life and I need it to cover as many bases across its life as I can. these are the bases I can foresee and hence these are the restrictions and qualifications set out.
    Your solution is to find a solid system that can be readily modified. You'll probably end up with a 16-inch barrel, +/- 2 inches.

With the push-pin solution you may even end up with another barrel or upper as no single weapon may satisfy you. The ability to swap uppers (or barrels) is what makes the AR system so attractive.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456