Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 16" 308 AR: larue obr or a ga precision gap 10?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As blackwatch16 has said, equipment is dependent on the mission not the other way around. Define your mission and purchase your rifle based off of those requirements. I will echo myself and others from above, If you want to shoot a gilzillian meters off a bench then go for the highly tuned Jp or GAP, they are precise machines meant for competition. Now I know that the school house out a Bragg had some GAP's and several SEAL teams also used them operationally (I am not sure of any other sof element that used/uses GAP rifles) but I am almost 100% certain those rifles have retired for the reasons stated above (parts commonality, reliability). Everyone is running either knights armament guns or Larue (for good reason).

For me I like to arm myself personally as if I was to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan, so this means a 20in + 7.62 rifle is impractical for me. If I need to shoot past 1000m (yes I am aware that 762 is more than capable of reaching out further) with utmost precision then I will have a 300 winmag or 338 lapua. For me reliability is number one requirement of any weapon system I own followed by accuracy (but I am not a gamer) I need to know that I can shoot shitty European surplus 762 nato as well as hand loaded "honey" rounds.

For me the Jp and GAP do not even enter the equation. I am a big fan of the SR-25 system ( and KAC has a new one coming out!!!) (I know early mk11's got a bad rap but I have had nothing but good experience with them) followed by the OBR (not sure about the pretobr, and I am really deterred about how mark runs Larue now but I digress), followed by the LMT MWS (very very modular)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can't tell you guys how many times I've read the responses in this thread the last few days. the sound advice is much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Absolutely bro. Hope it helps...any closer to a solution/decision?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think my first choice had always been an obr. ever since I laid hands on one and realized, oh, this isn't heavy.

LaRue has a huge backlog and all that drama with their barrel in sourcing. so I've just been sitting on the fence shopping for compromises. I've literally attempted to buy every obr in ee, they don't last long though.

been getting announcements from LaRue that they have made progress on the barrel in sourcing. we will see.
    Last edited by trinydex; 08-20-14 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like the 16 Larue. Also, with 16 is a good size for running a can. Bolt gun -GAP, AR PLATFORM = Larue
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    been getting announcements from LaRue that they have made progress on the barrel in sourcing. we will see.
    You can PM BlackWatch with more of the details on the LT Barrels, sounds like they're close enough to something they're willing to start making noises of that sort.

For my part I'm back to researching barrel profiles on a 16" setup that can run an 11oz can and outshoot me handily until the barrel gets really hot. The LT stuff was really smooth feeling, but too many small parts there has me wondering why LT is so bent on the full rifle packages (the AR Gold trigger is great, but not my cup of tea, the RAT stock is good, but an STR is something I'd prefer, same with an MOE grip. The handguard is awesome, but they could release a keymod variant of their existing PredatOBR modular handguard and they'd be onto a truly modular system instead of something that basically requires their textured panel sections to the exclusion of others - the barrel nut is amazing, the PST gas block is phenomenal, the fit/finish/smoothness is impressive, and handguard has some serious potential for simple improvements still... it's just that there's so many positive things going on with industry standardization that within the next couple of years there will be a crowded market of tack driving LR-308's that will run, right now it seems that the AeroPrecision receiver sets and MI Keymod Rails for them are going to be the sharp end of that stick and it's only going to get better as things like the URX4 7.62, dedicated VLTOR A5 kits for 308s, and probably Noveske barrels for more than just AR-10's, and who knows: BCM or DD complete uppers/rifles: it's not going to be just KAC, LMT, and LT at the top of that game for long.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Very true...lots of good points from TL as usual. As much as we talk about the purpose/objectives/functionality of our weapon systems here, the market also has a huge impact on our choice of a "fighting carbine." The AR craze of the last decade, and particularly the last couple years, is something we should all be grinning ear to ear over. But it also means that us AR enthusiasts will start to get bored/content with the 5.56/6.8/300 BLK platform and search for something even bigger and badder. The AR-10/7.62 gas gun market is on the verge of exploding, and it will require every reputable gun manufacturer to jump on board and either get on the same page with industry standards, or develop something with absolute proprietary genius. LT and LMT have already done this to a certain extent, but times they are a changing. The day BCM makes an accurate and reliable 7.62 gas gun for $2k will be a GAME CHANGER.
    Sorry to get off the main point of the thread into speculation, but all this to say there are so many factors to consider when entering into this market. I love the original OBR, but at this point I believe it's a relic. Now I'm all in on the PredatOBR platform because of LT's proven accuracy and reliability, and because of its vast potential. If I can quickly remove the handguard and barrel, then logic dictates that I could potentially replace it with many other similar handguards and barrels. And as much as LT is currently still holding on to the proprietary full rifle concept, at some point they will have to adapt and expand to stay relevant.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    One important thing to keep in mind is application and expected lifespan.
    It's one thing to make a barrel that provides sub-MOA precision for 2,000 rounds under low density fire; something else to get the same out to 6,500 rounds, and a whole other level to get to 15,000 rounds under high-density use.
    I'm not saying that everyone needs a 15k lifespan on a 7.62 barrel and bolt, that's up to you.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    It's one thing to make a barrel that provides sub-MOA precision for 2,000 rounds under low density fire; something else to get the same out to 6,500 rounds, and a whole other level to get to 15,000 rounds under high-density use.
    I'm not saying that everyone needs a 15k lifespan on a 7.62 barrel and bolt, that's up to you.
    I do which is why I buy KAC!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Considering the uncertain times we live in I have a hard time understanding those with a "this is good enough" attitude. I would rather have the capability and not need it than need it and not have it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast