Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newport News VA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Colonial Shooting Academy just opened a range in VB.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin View Post
    Look for a place to live in York county or Poquoson, maybe Newport News towards Williamsburg.
    Other places would be across the James river bridge (Suffolk, Isle of Wight county, etc). More rural out there, and a longer commute, but worth it to some.
    Areas of hampton are ok, but the good places will be just as far away from Newport News as Suffolk and York.

Lafayette gun club is in York county and is great if you can get in (24x7 indoor range)
    Good points, though I wouldn't say LGC is great. Its good, but expensive (IMO) and some of the rules suck.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    Colonial Shooting Academy just opened a range in VB.
    I forgot all about that - they're not opened yet, but soon I think. OP, that's about 45 minutes from NN, as long as the tunnel isn't backed up.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I could check with my son on specific areas to avoid , when he returns from deployment, he is stationed there. When are you planning on visiting/moving?

VA is Big on 2nd amendment rights.... although that is a never ending battle, and there are some good schools and job opportunities, but that's the reason you are going there, right?

I don't have any specific areas for you, just an overview of the area. Well it aint always Hot N Humid, cold and lots of snow right now. Close to a lot of good fishing too, Bass and saltwater if that interests you. Not far from Nags Head NC Beaches and Fredericksburg civil war battlefields. I wouldn't worry about places to shoot/ranges/training facilities. I am sure you know, but lots of military. BUT Traffic sucks ASS, especially in the summer time, you have not only the base traffic to deal with, but the VA beach, Williamsburg and Busch Gardens as well. But traffic in the entire VA beach/Hampton roads to Baltimore area traffic Sucks ASS!

Definitely check specific areas, because there are some that are Big time GHETTO areas! AI/Vick mentality, That are was there stomping grounds! I am sure there were lots of good people that came from there as well.

Good Luck

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Depending upon where in NN the squeeze will be working, New Kent may be an option if you don't mind being out in the sticks a little.
    It takes me about 25-30 minutes to get to Costco. (Jefferson Ave near Int. 64)

During the summer time, well...that's a different story. Traffic on 64 sucks ballz Friday through Sunday.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Like others have said, there are nice and bad places everywhere. However, (when I worked in Newport News) I found a greater concentration of "nice places to live" closer to the Williamsburg area. The weather can really suck at times (hot and HUMID to cold and humid). Traffic also sucks, especially at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (HRBT). So if working on the peninsula (Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, etc) it's best to live on the peninsula and not the south side (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth...) the commute can really suck. The exception is north Suffolk; not too bad from there and you avoid the HRBT. C2 has a really nice facility out in the sticks of Virginia Beach, but ALL rifles must be shot from either the sitting or prone position (on the public range) thanks to some assholes ruining it for everyone else. They do rental ranges where that does not apply. You also have Academi (formerly Blackwater) which is not too far away either.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Newport News VA

Got some feedback from Wake, and the the lady is in a good spot for work. North west of the city, and apparently there are some good residential spots out there too.

I fly out next Friday and I'll spend the weekend finding something to buy. I'm fine being out of the city a bit if it means a nicer neighborhood.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This also just came to mind...

Good armorers in the area? I can assemble a lower any day, but anything like pinning and welding a FH is a bit beyond my scope.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don't know of any, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is sharpshooters on industrial drive not open anymore? It's been a few yrs since I lived there, but you could shoot rifle and they have pretty competitive pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Its called the Marksman, and last I heard its only pistol with pretty high pricing for such a shitty range.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast