Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 - Still a must have?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hit the nail on the head jax. When the weapon shoots smoother, softens perceived recoil impulse, whatever...

Only way to go for me. I keep one carbine RE just to remind myself the A5 is money well spent.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Honestly, in the A5 system I have yet to have an issue with everything from Wolf, up to Mk262 with the standard buffer. As such, I just run the thing.

On my carbine extension rifles, I felt had issues with some over gassing, and bought both the H3 and and H2 (good deal on them, figured spares would be nice to have) to swap out the H buffer and see if there was a noticeable improvement. There was, but the rifle would sometimes short stroke on lower power ammo, so I kept the H buffer to mitigate that issue, as the swap is easy. I should honestly just move that buffer into the can where the .223 is kept so that the two will just travel to the range together.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had to change to a two or a three on an SBR'd lower. Had more to do with making it work with different calibers(pressures), and barrel lengths. RE springs also figure in with this.
    Last edited by fixit69; 02-15-14 at 09:48.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been using the A5 since the beginning. The only rifle I prefer a carbine RE is the BCM 14.5" midlength. Though it still runs fine with a lighter a5 buffer and 5.56 ammo, it's a little sluggish with weaker 223.

While the smoothness is a nice bonus, the real benefit for me is consistency between uppers and ammo. I've been running a Colt 14.5", a BCM 11.5" and an AAC 9" 300blk on the same lower with the same a5 buffer. A while back, I was running an SR15, an LMT 10.5", a Colt 16" and a couple others here and there. I'd occasionally suppress them with either the KAC NT4 or gemtech G5 and would use any ammo in a pinch, but mostly m855 with some TSX or Gold Dot when hunting, etc.

I've never had to worry about buffer weight when switching between all the uppers, ammo and suppressing them or not.

I could probably benefit from a higher weight a5 buffer, but I'm still using the standard a5 buffer that was the only option when I bought them.

I only have the original a5 RE's, and haven't really used the ones with the repositioned notches. I mainly use a CTR or SOPMOD. My stock is typically at the 2nd or 3rd position out (3rd or 4th position, technically), regardless of what I'm wearing, so I've never had an issue with it not collapsing against the end plate.

Though I've only done this a few times, my 9" 300blk locks back with subs and no suppressor using the a5. Not that I'll be shooting subs unsuppressed, just figured if mention it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    While the smoothness is a nice bonus, the real benefit for me is consistency between uppers and ammo.
    Exactly Jon.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been using the A5 since the beginning. The only rifle I prefer a carbine RE is the BCM 14.5" midlength. Though it still runs fine with a lighter a5 buffer and 5.56 ammo, it's a little sluggish with weaker 223.

While the smoothness is a nice bonus, the real benefit for me is consistency between uppers and ammo. I've been running a Colt 14.5", a BCM 11.5" and an AAC 9" 300blk on the same lower with the same a5 buffer. A while back, I was running an SR15, an LMT 10.5", a Colt 16" and a couple others here and there. I'd occasionally suppress them with either the KAC NT4 or gemtech G5 and would use any ammo in a pinch, but mostly m855 with some TSX or Gold Dot when hunting, etc.

I've never had to worry about buffer weight when switching between all the uppers, ammo and suppressing them or not.

I could probably benefit from a higher weight a5 buffer, but I'm still using the standard a5 buffer that was the only option when I bought them.

I only have the original a5 RE's, and haven't really used the ones with the repositioned notches. I mainly use a CTR or SOPMOD. My stock is typically at the 2nd or 3rd position out (3rd or 4th position, technically), regardless of what I'm wearing, so I've never had an issue with it not collapsing against the end plate.

Though I've only done this a few times, my 9" 300blk locks back with subs and no suppressor using the a5. Not that I'll be shooting subs unsuppressed, just figured if mention it.
    Jon, have you ever had a failure to lock back on the 16" KAC using the standard A5 buffer?

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit69 View Post
    Jon, have you ever had a failure to lock back on the 16" KAC using the standard A5 buffer?
    Yes, I'm glad you mentioned that as I had forgot. I had two SR15's. One was a very early model with the smaller gas port and the other had the larger gas port. The earlier model I remember had a couple failures to lock back with the standard a5 buffer and weaker 223 ammo like Tula. It ran fine with 5.56. I eventually lightened the buffer. They weren't yet available from Vltor, so I just removed one then both tungsten weights and replaced them with steel from a carbine buffer.

If I'm not mistaken, I went back to the carbine RE with a carbine buffer for the earlier sr15 and continued to use the lightened a5 with the newer production SR15. Like the BCM 14.5" midlength, I tried to stick to 5.56 ammo when possible.

I really wish I'd have kept notes on this kind of stuff over the years. Trying to go off of memory is sketchy at best.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, I'm glad you mentioned that as I had forgot. I had two SR15's. One was a very early model with the smaller gas port and the other had the larger gas port. The earlier model I remember had a couple failures to lock back with the standard a5 buffer and weaker 223 ammo like Tula. It ran fine with 5.56. I eventually lightened the buffer. They weren't yet available from Vltor, so I just removed one then both tungsten weights and replaced them with steel from a carbine buffer.

If I'm not mistaken, I went back to the carbine RE with a carbine buffer for the earlier sr15 and continued to use the lightened a5 with the newer production SR15. Like the BCM 14.5" midlength, I tried to stick to 5.56 ammo when possible.

I really wish I'd have kept notes on this kind of stuff over the years. Trying to go off of memory is sketchy at best.
    A friend had the same issue with an early sr15. Wondering if it was common.

With my a5 lower, I can use a 11.5 5.56 BCM upper and a 9" AAC 300blk suppressed without issue with an a5-2.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    After installing one, it will be on every rifle I build in the future. I've even debated disassembling others just to add the A5. It's as good as advertised and then some.
    This fits well.

Basically, the A5 isn't must-have, it's just the best mouse trap for that use.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The A5 is a no brainer in my mind for all the reasons above, the only down side is compatibility with stocks.
    I would like Magpul to come out with an extended length CTR to fit the 7position A5 RE like the STR, ACS and E-mod do.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast