Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Elysium Review

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Elysium Review

ELYSIUM (REVIEW)

Anyone see it?

Watched it last night. Was disappointed. I had really high hopes and expectations for this movie: written, directed, and co-produced by Neill Blomkamp, who put out a great sci fi movie in District 9. Top notch actors. Great story plot. Big budget...A formula for a great movie, maybe even Blade Runner great, but it was not to be. Had this movie been done right, it could have been in the all time classic Sc Fi category.

The actors did their jobs commendably, the visuals are very good, but the story line falls very short and I was unable and unwilling to suspend my disbelief over constant stuff that made no sense, or were just convenient to keep the movie moving at the pace the Director wanted. And they attach the cool exoskeleton to him for no other reason than they have an extra one lying around (what?), and he doesn't even utilize it all that much. It tries far too hard to send a social message about the haves and haves nots, but beats you over the head with it. The ending also makes no real sense, but I wont say why as to not spoil that.

It's not a bad movie by any means. I'd give it a solid B, maybe even B+, but it had so much potential that anything short of great (A+) fell short for me. If you do want to see a really good movie by this director/writer, see District 9. It's a cult classic at this point and rightly so and a better movie (done on a far smaller budget) than Elysium.

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    same here: disappointed. Very much so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I saw it in theaters with a friend and agree that it kind of fell short. Had a lot more potential that it delivered and being beaten over the head with the whole message did get preachy to me after a while.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Pure eye candy. Saw it in the theater and I enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for the dystopian sci-fi genre. I like how they show the Earth being over crowded, Kalifornia as Mexcio North. As with Avatar I found myself rooting for the "bad guys" in this one. Loved Sharlto Copley's character, Kruger he got ripped for that role. Couldn't believe what a hard ass bad guy he can play as we usually see him play nerdy good guy types (A-Team, District 9). Nice touch with the South African mercs, cool toys.

They attempted to explore "Class Warfare" a bit, per Hollywood SOP they go full retard with the progressive bovine feces.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Pure eye candy. Saw it in the theater and I enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for the dystopian sci-fi genre. I like how they show the Earth being over crowded, Kalifornia as Mexcio North. As with Avatar I found myself rooting for the "bad guys" in this one. Loved Sharlto Copley's character, Kruger he got ripped for that role. Couldn't believe what a hard ass bad guy he can play as we usually see him play nerdy good guy types (A-Team, District 9). Nice touch with the South African mercs, cool toys.

They attempted to explore "Class Warfare" a bit, per Hollywood SOP they go full retard with the progressive bovine feces.
    Agreed with bold, but this movie could have been and should have been far more then that.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Matt Damon has gone out of his way to make his views known. Not surprised this movie was about a liberal view of things.

Feedback Score
    Hope I am not the only one but the underlying political message that slapped me in the face was Elysium is the United States and earth is Mexico/Latin America and we need to take down the boarders and let everyone into America.
    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"

-Samuel Adams, 1776

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by murphman View Post
    Hope I am not the only one but the underlying political message that slapped me in the face was Elysium is the United States and earth is Mexico/Latin America and we need to take down the boarders and let everyone into America.
    It's the classic globalist one world utopia wet dream.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Seemed like a metaphor for the current universal healthcare issue.
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Aside for the "evil" black ops team leader being funny as hell I give Damon a C- for his overall performance.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast