Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 manufacturers

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    It really comes down to this simple fact; does the manufacturer have the US Govt. issued TDP? If they do then they would be classified as a tier 1. Lot's of companies have copies of the TDP, but that is about it.

To the best of my knowledge, only Colt and FN have been given the TDP by the Govt. I would like to believe that LMT has been given it as well (as they have contracts with CRANE), but have not seen proof. Everyone else that doesn't have the official copy of the TDP is a tier 2 or 3 manufacturer.

With that said, will a Stag, BM, Oly, RRA work for you? Most likely so. Are you going to see higher failure rates with bolts, poor accuracy and parts that don't quite fit together? Yes you are.

Two of the most critical areas in the weapon are the bolt and the barrel. If you can get quality made bolts/barrels that are shot peened and HPT/MPI tested then you are more than half way there IMHO.

The best values for assembled uppers that follow the mil-standard are LMT and BCM. They closely follow the reqs and are a reasonable price. CMT (stag) and LMT lowers are first rate as well.

Building your own AR from the ground up, will enable you to choose companies that make high quality products and actually improve upon the Mil-Standard (by using better springs, buffers and triggers).

Here is a list of my favorite components when building an AR:

VLTOR VIS or MUR
    LT or DD FF rails
    CMT MP tested M16 BCG with black insert and Crane O-ring
    PRI GB CH
    Noveske SS barrel or BCM 16" Govt Profiled middy
    Vortex
    LT or VLTOR GB
    LMT lower
    LMT SOPMOD or Magpul UBR/CTR or VLTOR stock
    VLTOR Receiver Extension
    ISMI buffer spring
    CMT H2 or H3 buffer
    CProducts SS mags with Ranger plate from Magpul
    Magpul MIAD or TD BG
    CMT lower parts kit for the receiver
    Geissele Trigger

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN

Once you know what you are doing, you can make a "Tier 1" package for less by using quality parts and your know-how.

Yup. And you get exactly the configuration you want up front.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    ...actually improve upon the Mil-Standard (by using better springs, buffers and triggers).

Here is a list of my favorite components when building an AR:

VLTOR VIS or MUR
    LT or DD FF rails
    CMT MP tested M16 BCG with black insert and Crane O-ring
    PRI GB CH
    Vortex
    LT or VLTOR GB
    LMT lower
    LMT SOPMOD or Magpul UBR/CTR or VLTOR stock
    VLTOR Receiver Extension
    ISMI buffer spring
    CMT H2 or H3 buffer
    CProducts SS mags with Ranger plate from Magpul
    Magpul MIAD or TD BG
    CMT lower parts kit for the receiver
    Geissele Trigger

C4
    Very good point. Thanks for taking the time to list those choices. Every time I come here, I learn more. Your opinions are much appreciated .
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    Here's a graphic representation that might help you to understand.

Colt

Others
    Not bad, except B&D and DeWalt are familial. Perhaps Porter Cable or Milwaukee and B&D would have been better...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant

C4
    What does BCM stands for? May you post some info on this bbl? Weight? Price? Chrome lined?

Souds interesting.

Feedback Score
    Black n Decker makes DeWalt btw
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacDoc
    What does BCM stands for? May you post some info on this bbl? Weight? Price? Chrome lined?

Souds interesting.
    Bravo Company USA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This all coming from Rob who uses a Home Depot tool bag as his range bag...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Grant,

Thanks for your post. It's a list of vendors and components that's hard to argue with.

Mojo58,

That contractor's BM (bowel movement) rifle was a lucky catch for him. Many of those guns, and I include the one I'm stuck with, are pure crap. The reason most of these guys like them are: 1) It's the first M4gery they've had, 2) It's full auto!!!, 3) They don't know shit about what's good and what's bad quality control, 4) They don't shoot them very much, if at all.

Having a firearms trainer job here gives me a chance to shoot the hell out of issued pistols and rifles. I'm not impressed with most of what I see. The bolt carrier keys are almost NEVER staked or if they are, they aren't staked sufficiently. FSBs look like the Leaning Tower of Pizza (sp?) and windage adjustments are way too far to one side, usually the left. Triggers are horrible and as has been stated, standard aftermarket stocks won't work because of the non standard buffer tubes.

Somebody in the acquisition process between the Dept of State (who bought most of the contractor guns in country) and BM made a pile of money at the taxpayers' expense that they didn't earn. I would not buy or recommend a BM to anybody who was purchasing for a life saving weapon. There's too many other viable and dependable choices out there to waste your time, money and potentially, your life on a "shitter shooter".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 9DivDoc
    Black n Decker makes DeWalt btw
    Not to mention that both those drills are made in China, probably in the same factory.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast