Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt is Tier 1, LMT?

Feedback Score

Colt is Tier 1, LMT?

Colt seems to be considered one of the best manufactures. One of the best but not perfect.

How does LMT compare? Seems I can get a complete LM for about $1015 with enhanced bolt. Colts are nearly impossible to find, but seem to be more than that used.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would pass on the "enhanced" and go with a CMT MPI M16 bolt. Otherwise LMT are generally good to go. I would call them tier 1.5, either that or LMT and BCM are the new tier 2 and BM, RRA, etc. have been bumped to tier 3.

Feedback Score
    Thanks I thought M16 parts were illegal? did I miss something?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's perfectly legal to run an M16 bolt carrier.

I have a 16" LMT M4 and I hope to pick up a Colt LE6920 within the next few weeks (hopefully) so I'll run a little side by side comparison complete with photos for you.

However, I've been completely satisfied with all three of my LMTs including my little 10.5" which has been 100% reliable from day one. I have no complains with any of my LMTs but I still want a Colt...just because

Feedback Score
    While I am generally a Colt snob, I do have two LMT MRP's with LMT lowers. They have been very reliable with very high round counts. I am also running standard LMT bolt groups in both as well. I would say the actions on the Defender lowers and the bolt groups are not wuite as smooth as my Colts, they are far from bad. LMT gets a thumbs up from me, and would definately be one of my top choices if a Colt was not available.
    "Cpl ##### is condescending and abrassive towards coworks who don't follow directions" my favorite evaluation quote........if I'm like that at work, you should see me on the internet .

"Even if I order you to trim your mustache, you're going to totally ignore me, huh".-another favorite supervisor "discussion".

Feedback Score
    I've been a Colt user for a long time (35 years) but now I have both Colt AR6721 and LMT Defender 2000 16" with LMT M16 BCG.

The slight differences I have noticed are the LMT barrel is not parked under the FSB and doesn't use taper pins for the FSB.

Colt LE6920 have double layer heat shields in the handguards, LMT have only one layer.

The LMT lower has a high shelf and small diameter FCG pins while the Colt have an unmachined web sear block and large FCG pins.

LMT's buffer tube is grey dry lube 5 position with three drain holes in the last rear most detent holes, Colt's are 4 position anodized.

So far I had my LMT for more than a year now and have no problems with it like my Colt, I would recommend it if you can't find a Colt.

There should be a big shipment of 6920 to Colt dealers either next month or so.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-15A3
    I've been a Colt user for a long time (35 years) but now I have both Colt AR6721 and LMT Defender 2000 16" with LMT M16 BCG.

The slight differences I have noticed are the LMT barrel is not parked under the FSB and doesn't use taper pins for the FSB.

Colt LE6920 have double layer heat shields in the handguards, LMT have only one layer.

The LMT lower has a high shelf and small diameter FCG pins while the Colt have an unmachined web sear block and large FCG pins.

LMT's buffer tube is grey dry lube 5 position with three drain holes in the last rear most detent holes, Colt's are 4 position anodized.

So far I had my LMT for more than a year now and have no problems with it like my Colt, I would recommend it if you can't find a Colt.

There should be a big shipment of 6920 to Colt dealers either next month or so.
    I believe Colt is now shipping AR's with a 6 position receiver extension.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-15A3
    My LMT is a 6-position tube.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have Colt and LMT lowers, and uppers.

I consider LMT a tier1 manufacturer -- I used a LMT 10.5 on a Colt M4A1 lower with no issues

BTW my LMT 10.5 was parked under the FSB and had taper pins...

I think it is hard to generalize as both LMT and (most notably) Colt have generations that charge like the blowing wind.

My most MILSPEC gun is a Colt RO934 9mm SMG (which I run 5.56) it is for all intensive purposes a M4A1 lower (with the holes for the 9mm mag kit).

But given I have a LE6921, LE6920, AR6721, AR15A2 Gov't, and AR15A2 Gov't Carbine -- I would not make a sweeping statment since the lowers have about 6 different generations...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    I believe Colt is now shipping AR's with a 6 position receiver extension.

C4
    That's good news, at least they are improving their models.

Since when did they made the change, did it only started for the next coming shipment?

I would like to see pics of it and maybe order one for my 6721.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast