Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tier 1 manufacturers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    I think it all depends on what a person wants to define as "Tier 1".

If "Tier 1" means that the units are supplied to the government for the military for general issue, then that, by default, places Colt and FN as the obvious choices. Because they meet the requirements set forth by the TDP, as defined in their contract.

Now, as Grant pointed out earlier, there might be some things available that provide different things on the gun that the TDP does not include. And these things might even be improvements over the standard issue "Tier 1" guns.

Maybe you feel that way, and maybe you don't.

However, the definition that you use as your benchmark, will set the determination of who is "Tier 1".

If the TDP was used exclusively as the benchmark, then nothing would ever improve. Everybody would just become a production shop, following the TDP exactly, and all R&D would cease, except for gov't testing. The gun would essentially become "static", or "set in stone" at that point, virtually ensuring its obsolescence.

IMO, there are things "better than TDP", and I'm glad that there are.

AMEN!

The tier system is not an official rating system, as much as many people would like it to be. It was pulled out of somebody’s forth point of contact and thrown out there for all that have a taste for koolaid. Most that use the tier system agree that Colt and FN are at the top due to the TDP and that is an easy agreement to make. The rest of the tier system is categorized with the caveats of “if think", "so and so says" or "it is my experience" thrown in for easier digestion. Get what you want and get good with it. Then take a class with Pat Rogers or the like and see if your tools are built for the job. No matter where they fall on the tier, the list of products and manufacturers that Grant listed above would be the best place to do your shopping.

Dave

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davemcdonald View Post
    AMEN!

The tier system is not an official rating system, as much as many people would like it to be. It was pulled out of somebody’s forth point of contact and thrown out there for all that have a taste for koolaid. Most that use the tier system agree that Colt and FN are at the top due to the TDP and that is an easy agreement to make. The rest of the tier system is categorized with the caveats of “if think", "so and so says" or "it is my experience" thrown in for easier digestion. Get what you want and get good with it. Then take a class with Pat Rogers or the like and see if your tools are built for the job. No matter where they fall on the tier, the list of products and manufacturers that Grant listed above would be the best place to do your shopping.

Dave
    Agree Dave. Once we get past Colt and FN, it is really subjective. I try and look at companies that follow the TDP as close as possible and hold them as a cut above the companies that use the cheapest parts they can find.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ex_soldier1911 View Post
    Not to mention that both those drills are made in China, probably in the same factory.

Dont worry though, the batteries are made in Mexico. There, now dont you feel better

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234