Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to select a plate carrier.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Trying to select a plate carrier.

1. I'm looking for a Plate Carrier
    2. I'm a civilian
    3. The primary usage of this item is use at the shooting club and classes
    4. I'd also like to use it for SHTF (whatever that may be)
    5. I need it to fit/carry - I will be strapping a HSP D3 rig to it
    6. I need it for this weapon M4
    7. I prefer it to be made out of - Not sure???
    8. My budget for this item is ~ 200 to 250
    9. I'm looking for it in these colors Don't care
    10. I care/don't care if it looks 'tactical'. Don't care
    11. I need/don't need it to be low profile/concealed etc. I would like it to be low profile if possible
    12. I am looking at Mayflower, Tactical Tailor
    13. If it's a sizing/fit question, provide your height, weight, build, waist size, inseam length - whatever sizing information is relevant to your question. I am 6ft3 250lbs so any input from the bigger guys is welcome

14. If it's a comfort question, state the conditions you want to use the garment under - dry/humid/wet, hot/cold. Both summer and winter (Ohio)
    15. Any other relevant information about your personal preference, usage etc that will help others narrow down their answers to your question.

I have never owned one of these. Other than looking at pictures and reading the reviews on this forum I know nothing about them. I have been reading a lot of the reviews and will continue to search for more. I don't require crazy bells and whistles this is just something for my own personal safety during my sessions at shooting clubs and in door ranges. Due to so many price differences I am kinda lost. Are these like body armor that have to be replaced every few years? I read the plates do have to be replaced over time. Thanks in advance guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    I like my Mayflower, it holds the place nice and high like its supposed to. Its highly adjustable, light and low profile. The downsides:
    -No casualty handle
    -Some people don't like how close the shoulder straps are together, but I think since it is closer to your spine it carries the weight better and my shoulders don't get very tired as a result. Wear a shirt with a colar
    -You will need to teach yourself to should the rifle a little different than you are used to most likely, but that is true of all plate carriers I think. The top right corner of my plate is what interferes with the butt of the gun, not so much the carrier itself.

Also check out the Crye JPC for that price range. Guys who have them seem to love them. No experience there though.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For just the nylon, $200 budget is pretty solid - the Mayflower APC is probably the ideal choice there, probably the XL sizing. For primary use - shooting club stuff, the modularity of being able to run just soft at a pistol course and hard plates (in conjunction with soft) the rest of the time, and the APC is the ideal venue for that.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    There is a pretty long review on the MAPC which I read on here. I was looking at skd and saw they have them for about 220.

http://www.skdtac.com/Mayflower-Assa...-p/mfr.512.htm
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    OPTactical has a lot of Mayflower kit on sale right now. I just got mine for Christmas and love it - highly recommended by me and a lot of guys that use it much harder. You really can't go wrong with it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love my Mayflower APC. I will also be picking up a LPAC for different uses at work.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wasn't sure at first, but I really like the APC but haven't owned one. My first choice is the blueforce gear LMAC for your standard carrier.

But, My current choice is the PLATEminus. The new one with the built in cummerbund is great, extremely light, very low profile and will not hold moisture. It's also extremely durable.

Another plus for the PLATEminus, at least the first model without the cummerbund (and likely the newest model) is that it's one of the fastest carriers to put on (don?).
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Mayflower LP Assault Carrier is a fine choice and ticks all your check boxes. However for civilian use, their LP Armor Carrier might be a better fit. You already have the HSP D3 for load carriage, so you don't need the MOLLE . You could wear it with soft armor only at times, keeping it lighter and more concealable, and add ICW plates as needed. The downside is you need concealment cut inserts, which cost more than backers. For me the flexibility of the system is worth it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I checked out the LPAC. It does look legit. Right now it's only 5 dollars cheaper than the other though. And for five bucks I figured I may as well get the MOLLE. Only because I can slap on other mag pouches from my other rigs if I want to move stuff over or do a different style then the d3. It says that one is going away though I guess it's not available anymore. I have looked at some of the other brands you guys named and between the opinions about this company and the reviews on the site I am really leaning towards the APC right now. More reading to do though for sure. The LMAC and the Plateminus look pretty good too though.

I was thinking of picking up a type of battle belt also to train off of. I was wondering if you guys run those with your plate carriers pretty well. I trained from just right off my cobra belt for the past couple summers. With long days out shooting though that get's kinda tiresome. How do the plate carriers used with battle belts work out? Are there any problems as far as things getting in the way and such?
    Last edited by St.Michael; 02-20-14 at 21:51.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    For your price range, I would go with:

The Tyr Tactical GPC - http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...e-carrier-gpc/

Or

The Tyr Tactical BPC - http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...e-carrier-bpc/

Or

The Tyr Tactical Pico low-vis - http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...w-vis-carrier/
    Last edited by Endur; 02-20-14 at 21:57.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast